Boiling hops for 30 min?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowthunda

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: American Hefeweizen WLP 320
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.50
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 13.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 68F
Tasting Notes: A great tasting summertime brew. The Saaz hops really come thru in this recipe.Enjoy!

6lbs-12 ounces Pale Malt(2-Row)US (2 SRM)

4lbs-10 ounces White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)

9 ounces Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

8 ounces Rice Hulls

Mash at 155F for 60 minutes
Boil time: 60 minutes

1.50 ounces Saaz Czech(2.9%) 30 minutes
1.50 ounces Saaz Czech(2.9%) 15 minutes

I found this recipe on 2009 HBT BJCP Winner recipe... and the thing thats bothering me is the hop schedule. It says to boil the wort for 60 min which i understand but the intial bittering hop only says 30min.

Shouldn't i boil the initial hop for an hour?

You don't have to...especially with a low bitterness beer (13 IBU in this case). I usually don't do 60 minute additions, I really only do 20 minute down to flameout...sometimes doing a FWH.

The recipe is basically telling you to throw the bittering hops in 30 minutes after the boil starts. That's not entirely unusual with low ibu wheat beers. There's really no need to go longer for that beer.

alrite thanx you guys

Well anyway i boiled it for 30 min without hops and then added hops and boiled for another 30 min and 15 min respectively

is it a waste of time to boil without hops???

Back