Boiling DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Beer_Guy

Reaction score
I did a starter a few weeks ago and did not boil the DME. (Elderly moment!:eek:) The starter seemed to ferment ok but was not real active. I was in a hurry and pitched it anyway.

This was a 2.5 gallon batch and I used a full vial of WL007 so I did not under pitch.

My question: What happens in a boil of DME?

It was a Robust Honey Barrel Porter so it should be fine, but I was just curious for future batchs where it might make a difference.

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The boil is to sterilize the starter wort (so, the DME and water). This is why a 20 minute boil is plenty.

There is a risk that your starter could have been infected and that the wild yeast/bacteria that caused the potential infection is now in your beer. Pitching a lot of yeast will help with the chances of an infection not manifesting itself.

At this stage, RDWHAHB and see how the finished product tastes.

OP
Beer_Guy

Beer_Guy

Reaction score
…
At this stage, RDWHAHB and see how the finished product tastes.
Yes Sir.

As ordered I opened a nice Stout and am relaxing. Also, the brew tasted great yesterday when I checked SG. It is down to 1.016 from 1.062 so it is coming right along. BTW I did use bottled spring water and had nuked it a couple of minutes before adding the DME to help it dissolve. Then of course I chilled it to 68* or so before pitching the yeast.

Thanks for the quick response. (Man the Stout is nice.)