Boilermaker Mash Tun-WTF????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmeisterSmith

Reaction score
Okay, so a friend of mine bought a top tier system from blichmann. It has three kettles. We ran it for the first time today and made a 10 G batch. I had a lot of trouble keeping a consistent mash temp, unlike my insulated cooler. It seems that from my research there is a TON of work involved in keeping a consistent temp for an hour. So why buy this as a mash tun? We tried direct fire and using a pump to recirculate. Nope, first of all the pump (even when slowed way down) tries to pull more liquid from the bottom than there actually is. At least that is my theory. Plus, it crushes the grain bed, resulting in a slow, to stuck, sparge. Anyway, I feel like I have all grain brewing down to a simple science. But this blew my mind. How are other people making a non insulated mash tun work? I'm particularly nervous when it gets 14 degrees Fahrenheit outside. Any advice? (please dont tell me to use a cooler either).

I use a direct fired Blich MT, you definitely have to fire / recirc it several times in a 60 - 90 min. mash, but have had no issues doing that. I don't use a pump, though.

I guess I can't speak for the Blichmann specifically but plenty of people are recirculating and direct firing / doing RIMS / doing HERMS with pumps successfully in various mash tun configurations, starting slow and once the grain bed is set, can open it up a bit more if desired. A grant could help this as well.

I use a direct fired Blich MT, you definitely have to fire / recirc it several times in a 60 - 90 min. mash, but have had no issues doing that. I don't use a pump, though.

Without a pump, do you just heat, then drain into a bucket, then pour back on top, then stir the mash, etc? Curious what your process looks like. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back