boiler boils too vigorously

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Hello again,
I have purchased a 30 litre boiler. It has a thermostat 1-6 but if less than 6 does not boil. On 6 it boils so vigorously that wort slops out the top, whether the lid is on or not. I believe I need to reduce the input voltage with a transformer, either fixed step down or variable output. Can these be purchased, and does anybody have any other ideas, please?

If you get it to boil using 6, can you then turn it down to 5 to maintain a rolling boil? Then, if the boil starts to slow down too much, turn it back up to 6.

Not a "set it and forget it" solution, but it has a certain KISS elegance...

You can get an autotransformer, sometimes called a variac, on ebay. They use dials to vary the voltage. They are not isolating transformers. You just have to make sure the voltage is correct. UK I believe? And make sure the current capability matches your burner.

Simpler solution, get a fan to blow on the setup while on setting 6. Adjust temperature by adjusting fan proximity.

Another possibility, get a long extension cord that will drop some of the voltage. Just make sure the cord doesn't overheat.

I believe I need to reduce the input voltage with a transformer, either fixed step down or variable output.

Lowering the voltage is not the best solution.
To solve your problem the voltage change range has to be <10 volt.

Example, ideal conditions:
2000 W, 120 V heater element used with a 120 V supply = 2000W
2000 W heater at 110V = 1680.55 W
2000 W heater at 100V = 1388.88 W
As you can see lowering the supply voltage by 10 volts lowers the heating capacity by 319.45 Watts.
20 volt drop = 611.12 Watts drop

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

thanks all who answered, to clarify anything less than 6 it does not boil at all. I have 3 extension leads I will run them in series for the next brew.

Back