Quantcast

boiler boils too vigorously

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Hello again,
I have purchased a 30 litre boiler. It has a thermostat 1-6 but if less than 6 does not boil. On 6 it boils so vigorously that wort slops out the top, whether the lid is on or not. I believe I need to reduce the input voltage with a transformer, either fixed step down or variable output. Can these be purchased, and does anybody have any other ideas, please?

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you get it to boil using 6, can you then turn it down to 5 to maintain a rolling boil? Then, if the boil starts to slow down too much, turn it back up to 6.

Not a "set it and forget it" solution, but it has a certain KISS elegance...

MOSFET

Reaction score
You can get an autotransformer, sometimes called a variac, on ebay. They use dials to vary the voltage. They are not isolating transformers. You just have to make sure the voltage is correct. UK I believe? And make sure the current capability matches your burner.

Simpler solution, get a fan to blow on the setup while on setting 6. Adjust temperature by adjusting fan proximity.

Another possibility, get a long extension cord that will drop some of the voltage. Just make sure the cord doesn't overheat.

ClaudiusB

Reaction score
I believe I need to reduce the input voltage with a transformer, either fixed step down or variable output.
Lowering the voltage is not the best solution.
To solve your problem the voltage change range has to be <10 volt.

Example, ideal conditions:
2000 W, 120 V heater element used with a 120 V supply = 2000W
2000 W heater at 110V = 1680.55 W
2000 W heater at 100V = 1388.88 W
As you can see lowering the supply voltage by 10 volts lowers the heating capacity by 319.45 Watts.
20 volt drop = 611.12 Watts drop

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

OP
B

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
thanks all who answered, to clarify anything less than 6 it does not boil at all. I have 3 extension leads I will run them in series for the next brew.