Boilcoil Step Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieftain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all - I’m considering a 10-15 gallon eBIAB setup with the BoilCoil, but Blichmann says it should not be used for step mashing, which I’d like to be able to do. Anyone have experience in this arena?

Thx

Title pretty much says it all - I’m considering a 10-15 gallon eBIAB setup with the BoilCoil, but Blichmann says it should not be used for step mashing, which I’d like to be able to do. Anyone have experience in this arena?

Thx
Is your plan to do BIAB with the bag in direct contact with the element? I’m pretty sure this is what the manufacturer warns against. When ramping up to a new mash step the element will call for full power and could scorch the bag. If you are using a false bottom and recirculating than no problem. I have a small system with the 120v version of the boil coil and I don’t even trust maintaining temps with it. If I want to add heat I power it on and stir constantly to distribute the heat. I’ve heard other reports that you can leave it powered on without scorching but haven’t tried it myself.

I’m open to all ideas, so if a false bottom mitigates the concern over step mashing, I’m all for it. I do plan to recirculate during the mash. Appreciate the feedback!

I think the warning too relates to scorching of the bag. There is another factor to consider though in that the ramp rates can be limiting. I have a 2V K-RIMS and if I simply rely on the coil to move the full volume temp up, it is far too slow.

Doesn’t apply for your case, but I get around it by shutting off pumps 10 min before the ramp and pushing the BK to twice what my ramp target is. When it’s time to start ramp, just turn pumps on and the temperature averages out and hits target temp within the necessary rise time and the controller then keeps it locked in.

Back