Boil went out after 30 mins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Good day!

I was brewing a Session IPA and my boiler (basically a 25L jam cooker) just stopped working after 30-35 mins into the boil. It's always worked fine until this batch, despite spending a bit of time fiddling with it, I just couldn't get it to start working again. At this point, the temperature dropped around 88° C, so I decided to say screw it, dropped in some Amarillo and Citra and just started cooling. Sadly my Simcoe had only been in for about 5-10 mins at the point that I noticed it had stopped boiling so I'm going to lose out on some bitterness.
Do you have any insights on what I should expect will change? Bitterness is going to be quite low, but what else might happen? Is a 30 minute boil really such a big deal besides losing time for hop utilization? From what I've read, it seems unlucky that DMS will be an issue after 30 mins, but should I expect anything else?

Thanks! I'll try to remember to update when it's all done! :) Fingers crossed!!

You’re only issues will be lower ibu, increased volume and lower og. i wouldn't worry about dms

If you’re beer stayed above 180 for an extended time, say 20 + minutes you still picked up some ibus, so unless you were specifically brewing a more west coast ibu with higher ibus, you probably won’t notice much difference in the final beer especially since your og and abv are going to be lower thaN your plan

You'll find plenty of brewers on here that typically run 30 minute boils..they just adjust their hops as such (more bittering hops for example). If it's out of your control (ie. gas runs out), then you'll be fine...just won't finish as you planned/intended.

I've run out of gas mid-boil...had to stop and run and get gas again. Just started the clock over at 60 minutes and continued where I left off. Turned out good.

I had this happen recently when my Robobrew died about 30 mins into the boil. I just threw in a bunch of hops and let it cool. It's still in the fermenter now. It will be a different beer, but I'm guessing will still be good.

I've read that 90% of the bittering happens in the first 30 minutes so you wouldn't have missed out on that much bittering. Bittering also continues until the wort cools below about 170F (77C) so you may not be missing any of the bittering. You will end up with more volume but perhaps not enough to matter.

You'll be fine.
The worst that can happen is the beer turns out great and you're unable to replicate it.
If it does turn out good, Why would he be unable to replicate it? He has a recipe and boiled for 30. There’s no reason why that shouldn’t be replicable

Back