Boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strohs

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my 2nd beer (hopefully today) and I am confused about the boil time.
The LHBS told me all it needed was a 10 min boil (1/2oz Kent Goldings at 10mins, and then 1/2oz at 2mins). Does that seem corrrect?
10 minutes seems too short to me, but I am a total n00b so I could be wrong...

I presume you are using prehopped extract? In which case 10 mins is sufficient to extract the hop flavour, 2 mins for the aroma.

With kits we have used from Midwest (extract with steeping grains) , it states that 10 minutes is fine if you're in a hurry but optimum is 60 minutes. It of course depends on the kit but maybe that is what your LHBS guy was referring to. If you are using a canned kit, the 10 minutes may be correct.

Yes. There is a lot more going on in the boil besides sterilizing wort and converting alpha acids. Boiling also rids the wort of undesireable proteins (the "hot break"), and it takes time to boil those boogers out. If you don't remove those proteins, your beer won't be as clear or as stable, and it may not taste or smell as good, too.

TL

TL,

since its a pre-hopped extract, he needs to follow instructions or he'll lose some hoppiness in a 60 minute boil, thus needing more hops added manually to avoid an overly sweet beer.

plus, there's some people that do NO boil extract recipes, and still make great beer.

malkore said:
TL,

since its a pre-hopped extract, he needs to follow instructions or he'll lose some hoppiness in a 60 minute boil, thus needing more hops added manually to avoid an overly sweet beer.

plus, there's some people that do NO boil extract recipes, and still make great beer.

Thanks for the advice, I may just shoot for ~30 mins and see what happens.
The recipe does call for hops at 10 mins and 2 mins (and then dry hops), so I am not terribly concerened with a long boil making the beer too sweet.

except 10 minutes isn't anywhere near enough time to extract any bitterness from the hops.

I'd stick to a 10-15 minute boil.

malkore said:
except 10 minutes isn't anywhere near enough time to extract any bitterness from the hops.

I'd stick to a 10-15 minute boil.

If 10 minutes isnt enough, why stick to a 10 min boil? You kind of lost me there :eek:

Latest posts

Back