Boil time vs flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_Oak

Reaction score
So I can calculate utilization and Ibu's in less than 30 seconds but I'm a bit puzzled about the flavor of early hop additions everything I've read says that the flavor is generally lost in a 60 minute boil what I want to know is how in your experience the flavor of early hop additions comes through in the final beer and how much flavor do aroma hop additions add if any?

Well, bitter is a flavor, so all hop additions in some sense affect flavor. I think the point regarding early additions is that the nuanced flavors are cooked off. I like to use strong, neutral hops for early additions- less hop matter to deal with. Late additions add considerable smell and taste, so they are much more impactful. BYO recently had an article on IPAs, and they said more or less that to add complexity required late or dry hopping to maximize these flavors.

Ok yeah cause I was wondering if I should just use a hop with clean bittering and earthy/oak/herbal properties because I feel like earthy flavors probably hold better in early hop additions

And so what would happen if I added a bunch of hops and did a thirty minute boil? Not that I would I'm just curious to know what would happen

Actually I've made some 30 minute IPAs before, and it's actually become my preferred way of making them. I usually space out the additions in 10 minute increments. Gives you a load of hop flavor with a more rounded bitterness in my opinion.

Here's a chart that might help you:
hop_utilization.jpg

And so what would happen if I added a bunch of hops and did a thirty minute boil? Not that I would I'm just curious to know what would happen

That sounds a lot like hopbursting, where you do a normal 60 minute boil (cause you still want to drive off DMS) but you add all or most of your hops as late additions. Something like adding your hops at the 15,10,5, and 0 mark. You have to use more hops to get the same level of bitterness as you would from a more traditional hop schedule, but you get way more aroma and flavor this way.

Back