boil size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
using a turkey burner, could i do the bag method of all grain on 15 gallon batch sizes? i would like to be able to fill a sanke keg on one boil if possible

using a turkey burner, could i do the bag method of all grain on 15 gallon batch sizes? i would like to be able to fill a sanke keg on one boil if possible

You have a 20 gallon pot for a turkey burner? Or am I too drunk to get this?:cross:

you would actually need a 25 gallon turkey fryer after figuring for boil off and a reasonable margin to prevent boil over. 20 gal would be cutting it close.

why a diy burner vs turkey fryer? and i found a 25gal aluminum pot online for 75 shipped

I'm assuming the fryer burner would have a hell of a time trying to boil 3 times the volume and I wonder if the pot you are talking about will even stand on the turkey burner without crushing it or falling off.

You would probably need to reinforce the burner stand as you're putting 3x the weight it was designed for. Good luck.

1. im trying to buy it on northern brewer, how about this one Bayou Cooker (Burner and Stand) - Burners - Equipment - Brewing : Northern Brewer

2. if im doing the brew in a bag method, do i need two burners(oen for sparge and one for strike)?

Says it will handle 40 gallons of weight. Just make sure you put it on a level concrete surface. If the pot started to slip your talking about 200 lbs of boiling wort. Personally I'd be too afraid of that possibility with this model. Good luck.:rockin:

That will work just fine. Put your pot on it prior to trying to brew and see about fit. If it didst fit well, you can get someone to weld tabs/angle iron on it for extra support (you can also use small U bolts. Cheers and good luck with the new toy!

I'd be more concerned about where you're going to find a bag that will hold 50+ pounds of grain plus all of the liquid they will absorb (potentially 100+lbs, 50+ qts), and how you plan on lifting it.

For 15 gals you have to have a bigger burner. The burner itself can be had for like 45 but then you have to make your own stand to house it.

Bayou classic makes a bit smaller one like 80k btu's for like 50 in a stand. But much more than 10 gals and you will fun into time issues

Back