Boil settings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimEb

Reaction score
Did my first pilot run on my brew stand this weekend. This is the first time brewing with heater elements and think I could use some pointers.

I have the output period on my temp controller set to 10 sec (range is 0.5-99 seconds). I thought this would be a compromise for life of the relays. Found about 70% duty cycle (7 sec on, 3 sec off) seemed to give me the hottest wort temp and keep things under control. I could get about 206F (about 900 ft sea level here) and when the element is on the boil is extremely vigorous. Then the element is off…all is calm. Did that for the whole boil.

I imagine dialing down the output period and cycling the element on and off quicker/more frequently will give a steadier boil. I’m I being too paranoid with the life expectancy of the relays?

The standard output period for brewing setups is 2 seconds. I boil 13.6 gallons at 81% duty rate with a 4500W element, and that gets me a nice constant rolling boil.

You are using solid state relays for your element output, right?

Yes, I'm using SSR's, but the relays on the controllers themselves (automation direct SL4848RR) is what concerns me.

Says the relays are good for 100,000 cycles. Suppose at 2sec periods for 1hr boils you'd get 55 batches out of one. Guess nothing lasts forever.

Back