Boil screen or False bottom???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I'm about to convert a Keg into a boil kettle. I need some help choosing the best way to filter hops/hot break materials. I'm thinking of going with a bazooka screen or a false bottom with dip tube. What do you think would be the best for a boil kettle application? I would like to save money, but also want something that is going to work. Oh, I'm also using an immersion chiller if that matters at all.

fwiw, I'm not a fan of false bottoms on BKs, for the increased scorch potential, especially if you like to fire up the BK with the first runnings. I use an SS mesh tube taken off a reinforced hot water supply hose bought at Home Depot. Cut off both ends, extract the inside tubing, SS worm clamp one end to the dip tube on my BK, the other end SS worm clamped to a short SS bolt.

The bolt helps it stay put on the bottom, and I can stir the whole kettle when needed without problems...

Cheers!

As opposed to day tripper, I am a fan of false bottoms. In my brewery, I have had success with one for years and like that I can just dump it out, hose it off, drop it back into the boil kettle, add some oxyclean, and let it soak. I haven't had any issues with scorching (others might have).

I have heard great things about the bazooka tube design, but the cleaning (unscrewing) has my lazy ass turned off. Regardless, you are going to have to use at least primarily hop cones instead of pellets with either design.

I have a screen, it is a hassle but it will filter out most of the hops. It gets clogged with pellet hops pretty easy so I have to stir it often when draining. The holes in most false bottoms will be too big to filter much of the pellet hops. I don't stress much with cleaning the kettle, I just give it a good rinse. The heat from you next boil will kill any bugs living in the screen.

If I didn't have a plate chiller I would opp out of the screen and wirlpool the hops to the center and use a side pick up tube.

FWIW, I am pro-FB. I sometimes use 100% pellet hops, sometimes 100% whole hops and often a combination of both. I use a center pickup tube. The FB has been performing very well for me. Here's a pic from a 6 gallon batch which used several ounces of 100% pellet hops:

4128977563_6546b3c64f_z.jpg

Back