Boil overs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
What do you do when you realize a boil over is about to happen?

If it’s about to happen usually spritzing with cool water or stiring the foam will knock it down. If it’s already happened I kill the flame, clean up the mess, fire it back up and pick up where I left off. Then pay more attention for the remainder of the boil.

Fermcap does a great job of killing boilovers as well. I've found that adding a few drops right when boil starts will do the trick. I've tried using it when the hot break happens, but it's a crapshoot at that point. It's kind of a PITA to stand over the kettle waiting for the boil, but I'd rather do that than clean up nasty gunk from the outside of my keggle.

Buy a kettle with more headroom. Seriously.

I brew 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon BK. I haven't had a boilover since I started using the larger kettle, about 5 years ago, but I could if I didn't pay attention.

My typical pre-boil volume is 7 gallons and change. The only way to nearly eliminate the chance of boiling over is to use a BK of at least double the pre-boil volume.

I always keep one spray bottle of star San and one of fresh water near by brew space (bottles are different colors and clearly labeled). If/when I get a boil over I’ll spray some fresh water and it always knocks it down.

Lower the heat or kill it entirely. Spray bottle. Careful watching and stay off HBT until the foam has subsided!! BTW it is very easy to boil over a 5 gallon batch in a 10 gallon pot!!

What do you do when you realize a boil over is about to happen?

this happens to me all the time. i just had a batch that spit all my hops out the beer taste like shi... you get the idea.

i am working on flame control the wind is crazy in my area.

Back