Boil over.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had me first one today.

Well a mini one anyway, I wouldn't like to have or clean up a full size one.
I was preping for priming. A regular size pan with about a pint of water in it. (About 1/4 full) After boiling for a few minutes I wisked while adding the dme. I turned my back for less than a minute. Boy what a sticky mess all over the cooker top!

I think I'll try and be carefull when it come to a big boil of wort!

If you think you will be distracted just turn the heat down or slide the pot half way off the burner.

I slide the pot off of the burner when the wort level gets close to the top of my brew pot. I find it's the best method that works for me.

As soon as the level drops I slide it back on a little at a time.

Once you get your hot break then it stays on all the time.

My last brew had my biggest boilover yet. Got the runoff in the pot and boiling and went to add in the DME. Only got a little in and there was foam all over the stove. Had to clean that up fast before the hour boil made it a permanent part of the finish.

I haven't had one in a while, but I think the worst it gets is if it boils over after hops are added..
Come to think of it, perhaps using Gas over electric has really helped, the ability to immediatly control the temp applied to kettle allows one to head off potential boil-overs quickly.

The best way to combat a boil over (having done lots of 12.5 gallon boils in a 14 gallon kettle) is to keep a garden hose nozzle (with different settings) handy, and spray the boil (over) down on the "mist" setting. It works great... lots of professional brewers use this trick to keep the boil-overs to a minimum.

Uncle Fat said:
The best way to combat a boil over (having done lots of 12.5 gallon boils in a 14 gallon kettle) is to keep a garden hose nozzle (with different settings) handy, and spray the boil (over) down on the "mist" setting. It works great... lots of professional brewers use this trick to keep the boil-overs to a minimum.

I'm going to try that next time. Of course, I'm 'borrowing' my buddy's turkey fryer, so worst case it gets a little burnt wort on it and I hose down the driveway...

Back