boil or not to boil that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
quick question... I am using bottled spring water to brew... woul it be a good idea to boilthat water or will it be ok right out the bottle?

Won't you boil it while brewing?

Are you asking about sanitation or preventing off-flavors like chlorine? Bottled water, to the best of my knowledge, does not have chlorine and other chemicals added like city water does.

i use my bottled water w/o boiling for top-off and have not had any issues... that i know about

Im pretty sure that water is purified before they bottle it.. I've never had problems topping off with it

Im pretty sure that water is purified before they bottle it.. I've never had problems topping off with it

+1. If you're really worried, you could sanitize the outside of the jug, especially the mouth of the jug, but I doubt there's anything to worry about in the water.

I think this is a case of straining the knat and swallowing the camel. If you boil the bottled water you can be sure that it has no bacteria in it, reducing the likelihood of an infection. However, you are also increasing the cool down time of your wort. The longer the wart sits without yeast, the more likely some bacteria may start growing in it first. I don't think it's a worthwhile trade. I top off with plain old tap water (filtered) and have never had a problem with an infected batch.

Latest posts

Back