Boil losses - Way more than I expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turk10mm

Reaction score
So after several full boils that ended up in adding water to the fermenter I decided to do a full mock boil tonight and see just where I am. I did a mock minimash for 45 minutes at 155, then brought to a boil, simulated adding extract time, brought back to a boil and boiled for an hour.

I started with 7 gallons of water and ended up with 4 3/4 gallons of water after chilling from boiling to 75 in 14 minutes.

So that means that I have 2 quarts to play with between adding extract. I guess I'll be measuring out my extract to see how much it is prior to the boil and then adding that much water to make a total of 7.5 gallons.

That seems really high, but it is what it is.

I also used 3.2lbs of propane for the entire batch, so I found out a bunch of things tonight.

Don't forget that not all of that is boil off volume. You should calculate the amount of boil off losses before cooling. Cooling the wort will result in about 4% volume contraction. So, your actual boil off loss would be only 2 gallons per hour. (7 - (4.75/.96))

Back