Boil lactose to add at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeraroundtown

Reaction score
I'm using 3 lbs of lactose to sweeten up a framboise style sweet fruit beer and adding it at bottling. Do I need to boil the lactose sugar in water before adding it or can I add it strait to the bottling bucket? Anyone know how much water I will have to boil it in if so?

First is the issue of sanitation, the lactose packages are sealed, so might not be an issue. Secondly is will the lactose dissolve into the beer if just added strait, or will it fall out of solution as the bottles age?

Thanks for the help!

Wow, three lbs is a lot of lactose! You do want to boil it up with water to ensure it's dissolved for easy mixing. I've never measured but a couple cups of water will do it. I've done it in the pan with priming sugar before and it worked fine.

I know, I'm making the beer for my girlfriend that really likes the sweet Lindamans Framboise, so it seems to take a ton of lactose to get it there. I'll probably do it half pound by half pound and test the sweetness to make sure it doesn't go overboard.

Thanks for the response!

Back