Boil Kettle size help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiogorillaz

Reaction score
I just got my first home brew kit for my birthday. The kit contains the basics which revolve around 2 plastic 5 gal buckets. I am now looking for my boil kettle and would like to do my boil in a turkey fryer. I'm shopping around on the websites of some of the big box home improvement stores and came across mostly 30 qt. kettles. That's a 7.5 gal Aluminum pot. (Yes, I know that I need to pre-boil water to get an oxidized layer)

My question is; will a 7.5 gal volume be enough as to not cause any boiling over?

Thank for everyone's help. This isn't a time sensitive question.

-Nate

7.5 is a great size. It will allow you to do a full volume boil, which will get you better results than a concentrated boil. If the price is right, I would say its a good way to go.

Not big enough for me. If you are doing 5 gallon batches, you'll be boiling somewhere around 6.5-6.75 gallons. Even 8 gallons is too small for my liking. I like 10 Gal for 5 Gal batches and 15 for 10.

Not sure on the evaporation statistics, but if you want to do a full boil then I would indeed go with a 10+ gallon pot. I use a 15g kettle and when doing AG 5 gallon batches I've boiled over enough for some to seep down the outside of the kettle. Any smaller and I would have had a sticky deck for sure. You'll be surprised how volatile the hot break is, as well as when you ad hops.

That is some pretty crazy evaporation... 23 to 27% ??

If evaporation was the only thing you had to worry about.

For me:

6.52 preboil, boils down about .52 to 6 gallons.

6 Gallons - .25 shrinkage loss = 5.75.

5.75 - .75 loss to trub = 5 gallons into the fermenter.

If you are trying to get 5 gallons into the vessel, you have to have a preboil volume that will allow you to lose volume in several stages of brew, boil-off is only one of them. The others are shown above -shrinkage when cooling, trub loss when racking.

That is some pretty crazy evaporation... 23 to 27% ??

It won't be a %, but rather a set rate based on the surface area of the pot. In other words it doesn't matter if there's 3 gal or 7 gal in the pot, the boil off per hr is the same. For pots in the 7-10 gal range about 1 gal per hr sounds about right. If you're thinking about all grain in the future I agree with the others it's nice to go bigger like 10 gal.

I have a 10 gallon and it is almost perfect. I still have to watch for the initial boil-over, but that is only for a minute or two.

My first attempt at a full boil was with a 30 quart aluminum turkey fryer... That lasted 3 batches. I bought a 44 quart and could easily boil 9 gallons of collected wort. I just moved up to a 16 gallon and know I can boil just over 14 gallons of wort without a boil over.

I used a turkey frier for a while. You CAN do a 5 gallon batch with it. It worked ok but you need to watch it like a hawk and keep your hand on the gas valve. You're so close to a boilover. It was not an enjoyable experience. My advice - buy bigger and that way you buy once.

J187 is correct. I'd go w/ a 10 gal for your BK for 5 gal batches. If you try a 7.5 you'll only have an inch or two of room left when you start your boil. Almost a guaranteed boil over!
I do 6 gal batches and use a 15 gal BK.
Also, look around for a "deal" on a SS pot if you can swing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been using a 7.5gal turkey fryer for a bit over a year - and it isn't optimal, but - instead of spending nearly $100 on a kettle for a hobby I wasn't sure about at the time, I got a burner and a kettle for less than $60. I was also aware of the possibility that I might want to switch from extract to all-grain, potentially scaling up to 10 gallons.

A year later, I am considering moving up to a megapot - but my wife wants to start frying in the old kettle so it certainly won't be going to waste. I actually am still extract brewing, but am also starting BIAB and other "half batches" at 3 gallons in size.

I've been using a 7.5gal turkey fryer for a bit over a year - and it isn't optimal, but - instead of spending nearly $100 on a kettle for a hobby I wasn't sure about at the time, I got a burner and a kettle for less than $60.

This is my thought exactly, drewsk! I will however remember this post when I either have a boil over :mad:, or want to go bigger :rocking: like everyone else has mentioned.

I have a feeling I'll want to go larger, but you never know what life throws at you and other things keep you busy.

I hope to have my BK this weekend. Then the last thing I need to do is find an extract recipe among the millions. I maybe even use a Midwest kit that has grains you put in a steeping bag. Not sure yet.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Nate

If you do enough shopping, you can probably find a good kettle in 10 gallon for nearly as cheap as you buy a 7.5 gallon one with half the headache and twice the upgradability.

I bought the concord 10 gallon off amazon for like $69 or something? It's stainless and it's awesome. I kept modifying and now it has a sightglass, thermowell, thermometer, and a 3 piece valve and bulkhead.

J187; You've convinced me to go for the larger size. I found a Concord 60 qt. (15 gal) for $80+$13 to ship. Can't find the 10 gal you referenced, but for $10 more I get 5 more gal and that sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks for point me in the right direction!

Do you have a Walmart near you OP?

Walmart (and some Target stores) sell IMUSA Tamale Steamer pots, they are 8 gallon aluminum pots for about $25-28 USD.

I used mine and it worked great, sure when you had a full 6.75-7 gal boil its super close but you just have to watch your pot closely the first few minutes so it doesnt boil over. Or just invest in some FermCap-S and use it as instructed and you wont have boil overs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-Tamale-and-Seafood-32-Quart-Steamer/13370045

I use the 7.5 quart turkey fryer. I haven't had a single boil over. I have only done extract though. Only time I have issues is when I am tossing the hops. But, after the first batch I was able to figure it out without any more issues. Don't toss all of the hops at once and don't stir until after the foam subsides. When you stir, don't get a whirlpool going otherwise it will create a large bubble in the middle and can splash the wort. Set the regulator to keep a slow rolling boil and blow on the foam when it does show up.

FuzzeWuzze & number40fan; thank you for your ideas and opinions. You have provided me with other budget friendly options.

I'm looking at the IMUSA Aluminum pot and I like the price and size. I think getting the smallest possible and cheapest will make the boss (wife) happy.

I'll be sure to update how my first brew goes. Worts (get it) and all.

Check the bottom to make sure that it's thick enough it won't scorch your brew. When I was hunting for a new kettle I noticed some of the cheaper ones had thin bottoms. Just beware and check before you buy

+1 on the tamale steamer... i got a 10 gal on sale for $20 at smart n final... I regularly see them at super markets with a large Latino customer base for $25... I grabbed a 15gal for $35 a few months ago but it won't fit on my stove under the hood :)

Back