Boil Kettle hopps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudgetBrewer

Reaction score
Just wondered what others with similar equipment are doing to eliminate hops, cold / hot break etc from leaving the boil kettle.
Using keggles, chugger pumps, and a plate chiller. Last addition was the trub buster.. a SS mesh filter on the pickup tube. It seems anything more than a couple ounces of hops clogs that screen up bad. It can take an hour to get your wort into the fermenter. Ive recently picked up some hop socks.. i plan on using them with a frame (Hop Spyder) positioned directly over and centered on the boil kettle. Basically a 28 inch sock you pour hop additions into. A SS washer in the bottom for weight... Im worried about hop utilization. Do I need to up the hop additions? That is by far the most frusterating part of the brew day. Trying to fix it. Thx for any help, experiences...

I'm pretty new at this but I just blow them into the fermenter. Just got a conical so I dropped most of it out this time before pitching but before I didn't. It made fine beer.

Just wondered what others with similar equipment are doing to eliminate hops, cold / hot break etc from leaving the boil kettle.
Using keggles, chugger pumps, and a plate chiller. Last addition was the trub buster.. a SS mesh filter on the pickup tube. It seems anything more than a couple ounces of hops clogs that screen up bad. It can take an hour to get your wort into the fermenter. Ive recently picked up some hop socks.. i plan on using them with a frame (Hop Spyder) positioned directly over and centered on the boil kettle. Basically a 28 inch sock you pour hop additions into. A SS washer in the bottom for weight... Im worried about hop utilization. Do I need to up the hop additions? That is by far the most frusterating part of the brew day. Trying to fix it. Thx for any help, experiences...

Personally, I simply boil a 5 gallon paint-strainer bag in water, then soak it in starsan during the boil, and line my fermentation bucket with that. I pour everything from the kettle through this, and it strains the hops out nicely. I am not worried about the break material, as that will settle out in the fermentor. Only takes a couple minutes to get the liquid out of the strainer bag.

I have plate chiller and pumps as you do. All I do is whirlpool for a few minutes and let the wort spin and clear for about 5 to10 minutes. Then run off into pump, chiller and into fermentor. Clear beer. Everything drops from the whirlpool unless I'm using whole cones. I don't think I will be using whole cones free like that again though.

I use an SS brewtech with a false bottom.....I will never boil again without it.....add false bottom to BK! Trust me !

Im not a fan of pumping hops etc thru my plate chiller, or the pumps really. But i do agree with the article

I use a wilser hop bag cloths pinned to the side of the pot.No swirling the bag. The boiling water is more then enough movement to extract the oils.A hop spyder sounds like unnecessary cost/work/effort/cleaning when all you need is a cloths pin.
Ive sucked up some cold break into the fermenter with no off flavors.

I use a hop spider with a big paint bag. I've never used a washer in the bottom, but I will from now on.

I think that it probably does impact hop utilization to a degree, but I really don't want to deal with hop debris in the plate chiller.

Back