Boil kettle as deep fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used their electric boil kettle setup as a deep fryer? I have a keggle with a 5500 w element controlled by a raspberry pi controller that I am considering using for deep frying when needed. Sure, it's a lot of oil, but if you're doing turkeys at Thanksgiving or a big old fried chicken dinner, it's gotta be easier and safer than a propane burner setup. The temp sensors can handle 350* can't they? I like using a sensor rather than a thermometer for temp control. Having the element heat up to keep the oil at the right temp is a big plus too. No more guessing.

Any experiences?

The temp sensors can handle 350* can't they? I like using a sensor rather than a thermometer for temp control. Having the element heat up to keep the oil at the right temp is a big plus too. No more guessing.
It depends what type of thermocouple you have. Type K is the most common, and will easily handle deep frying temperatures. As will type N, which is fairly common. The sensors on ST1000's won't - they max out at 100C.

Back