bohemian mystery hop- red semsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdb

Reaction score
double posted.. in ingredients forum also but an orphan there. perhaps someone her knows something about this variety, or how I could research it further?
my son showed me a reference to a hops variety in a book written by a fellow who was traveling the world in the early 1900's on behalf of the U S Government and American horticultural societies.
the book
"The World Was My Garden", author David Fairchild published by Scribner copyright 1938
to paraphrase the author

the Red Semsch was grown by Wenczel Semsch in the town of Polepp in Bohemia , first in 1853 and became popular with local hop growers to the point where they formed a "union" to prevent the spread of the the Semsch hop. The author befriended the local growers and quietly brought back a hundred cuttings to America. They hops were grown and tested in America, but prohibition came and the hop fields were tilled under.

I can't find any useful reference to this hop variety. Is this a lost hop, or is it being grown now by a different name?
here is the only reference I can find outside of the book
http://books.google.com/books?id=fjwCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=wenzel++ semsch&source=bl&ots=hznxsCTBRy&sig=wmzdYX2phatcGy SRW-XTdOiAWn8&hl=en&ei=bBfZTYH1MorVgQffq8VY&sa=X&oi=bo ok_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=one page&q=wenzel%20%20semsch&f=false

Latest posts

Back