Boerderij Kabouter Brewery Design Series: The Single Vessel System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been designing a lot of systems lately and thought it would be nice to have a blog dedicated to each so it would be easier for me to direct people and for reference. Hopefully this helps someone... The single vessel system is a BIAB style brewery that uses only a single kettle for all stages of brewing. It is simple to use and very minimalistic. First the pot is a single kettle with a full steaming basket.
hbt-pot-576.jpg

Here is how you could do 10 gallon AG batches with a single burner, single pot and single fermenter.

Part_Duex.png

That is a pretty sexy system
Part_list.bmp

Part_list_drawing.bmp

Basic setup this is all you need.
Part_Duex_Brew_1.bmp

Heat all the water of to sparge temps plus a couple degrees for heat loss. Put grains in a grain bag inside steamer basket.
Part_Duex_Brew_2.bmp

Transfer sparge water into fermenter and cover with a blanket or other insulation. Add ice cubes to the kettle to bring liquor to strike temps.
Part_Duex_Brew_3.bmp

Put grain basket into mash and mash for desired schedule.
Part_Duex_Brew_4.bmp

Raise basket out of wort and sparge with the liquor held in the fermenter.
Part_Duex_Brew_5.bmp

Boil as usual.
Part_Duex_Brew_6.bmp

Cool, and transfer back to fermenter.
Part_Duex_Brew_7.bmp

It would be very easy to add a rims to this system for an automated mash temp control. Pretty cool IMO.
hbt-pot-576.jpg

I don't think you really need the sparge. 75-80 can be done with "normal" BIAB.
Also, just recirculate and use the burner to maintain temps and/or step-mash.

Wow, this is cool. I really like the visual aids, as well. I see where bakins is going with this, but I think you can still keep this thing beautifully simple with a vertical RIMS attached to the frame. From there it would be easy to do step mashing or deliver heated water for a sparge/mashout.
Do you think the 62qt basket will be big enough? Looking at the actual dimensions, it only comes to 9.75 gallons.

The pot is 82 quart or 20.5 gallons. https://www.pelicansky.com/productdetail.aspx?id=118&cat=66
Should be big enough for most 10g batches. The basket says it is full sized, but I can't find any dimensions???

Back