Bock vs Doppelbock: Need some guidance!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrMunich

Reaction score
I've finally built up enough confidence (and equipment :cross:) to try brewing a lager, and a nice dark malty German lager sounded like it would fit the bill! Commercially, I've had: Celebrator, Optimator, and Salvator, and I've really enjoyed them all! These are all classified as "Doppelbock"s, and I can't say that I've had a "Normal Bock" before. They all clock in around 7.2% ABV as well.

Looking through Brewing Classic Styles, Jamil's recipe for the traditional Bock comes in at 7%, while his Doppelbock is a whopping 8.7%!

My question is this - would brewing the BCS "traditional Bock" recipe get me something similar to the commercial Doppelbocks I enjoy, since it more closely matches the OG/FG for them? Has anyone brewed one (or both) of these recipes, and have some insight? I would prefer the beer that I brew to be more sessionable/quaffable, so I'm a bit put off by the 8.7% figure...which leans me towards the normal one.

Any (Doppel)Bock-related tips and ideas would be appreciated :)

There's a clone recipe for ayinger celebrator that sounds pretty good in the commercial brews book. I plan on making it sometime.

Unfortunately, to get the flavor just right for a dark german lager, you have to use a decoction mash, something I've not been willing to try.

Back