Bock Steam (Done as an ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facinerous

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am still fairly new to the homebrewing scene. I've done quite a few ales, and was thinking about toying around with a lager this time.

Thing is...

I don't really have the capability of doing a lager proper right now. What came to mind, though, was to produce a recipe close in terms of a bock. Instead of going with a true lagering process, using a lager yeast at the proper fermentation temp and leaving it at the temp for a longer period of time (for conditioning) before cold crashing. When I say cold crashing I'm implying bottling and letting chill at refrigerator temperatures rather than freezing temp and then bottling.

I'm formulating the recipe in my head as I speak, but I am more or less wondering what others would think of going about this process.

Essentially this would be a typical ale process, but with an extended time and using a secondary carboy after the 3 weeks of primary fermentation.

I will post the recipe I intend to use when I have it 90% hashed out.

Well, even due to lack of popular response. Here is the recipe I have come up with. Think I'm just gonna roll with it and see what happens. Its not exactly a bock but takes root from the bock standard profile.

10# Munich Malt (9 SRM) @ 70.2%
3# 4oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) @ 22.8%
1# Caraaroma (130 SRM) @ 7%

1oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) 60min
.5oz Saaz (4%) 40 min

San Francisco Lager (WLP 810) (Beer smith recommends a 3.5L starter)

Need to investigate the starter size as that seems high, but I have read that you typically need a larger starter for lagers so it very well may be right.

All in all. Simple grain bill, simple hopping. Looking to just try out the lagering business in a less than conventional way.

I'm adding the wheat because I guess the roots of making a bock incorporated wheat malt and it sounded good in my brain.

Back