Bock Results not what I expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
Ok so I made a 6 gallon batch of what I thought was a doppelbock after not hitting OG I thought it'd be more like a traditional bock, while racking today I stole a sample and drank it, it turned into a chocolate bock, I was shooting for an extremely big malty tasting beer, I used 15# dark munich and 4lb pils and hallertau hop pellets I want that crisp sweet malty beer, I did a hochkruz double decoction so I thought it'd be good an malty esp with munich and other than not sparging long enough I had a great brewday, any help or what style of beer to make, I mean the beer turned out very good just not what I expected, I'm kinda new I guess, I have done tons of research and learned as much as I can about brewing except the malts, I'm trying to understand what malts give what flavors but my brew process is fine

Hochkurz mash is a style of double decoction, but basically I would like to know why my beer has a chocolate taste with no chocolate malts added, it was supposed to turn out very malty with no chocolate

Hochkurz mash is a style of double decoction, but basically I would like to know why my beer has a chocolate taste with no chocolate malts added, it was supposed to turn out very malty with no chocolate

I know what a Hockkurz mash is!

I'm not understanding what you did, what the ingredients were, and what your process was besides the Hochkurz mash. Rest temps, OG, IBU, full list of ingredients, yeast strain, etc, would help.

Haha sorry it wasn't aimed at u it was to the guy/girl who was lost at hochkurz lol but my ingredients were:

15# weyerman dark munich
4# weyerman pilser
1 oz Hallertau at 60min
1 oz Hallertau at 15min
Went by the mash schedule from kaisers hochkurz diagram
Doughed in at 1.25 qts/lb and maybe 3-4 gallon batch sparge
Ended with 6 gallons

OG was 1.061 and FG Was 1.016
Its currently lagering at 34-38 in fridge but I racked it today and that's when I tasted it

As far as color its a brown with slight red highlights

Do you think the high amount of dark munich caused this?

Should I have used slight amount of dark munich and higher light munich and some carmel 60 for a malty/biscuity/bready flavor

I think the dark munich is a huge part of it, along with the decoction. I've never done such a large percentage of dark Munich. But I still am not convinced that it's solely responsible for a "not crisp" finish. You still should have that with that OG and FG and the lagering. It should be dark, malty, and rich, but still pretty crisp.

I'm not sure what to think, except that much dark Munich would be pretty black.

Its crisp and clean and thick full bodied its just chocolatey which I didn't expect at all, none of the dark munich descriptions I've read say chocolate, just malty, just shocked me, its still really good its just not what I was looking for

The recipe seems about right. There is no reason why the beer should be chocolate flavored. I've used similar percentages of Weyermann Dark Munich malt in a number of brews and have never experienced what you have described.

I've still got a 1 - 1.5 months of lagering left so I hope it will turn out, maybe its just too young?? I made this a month and a half ago tho

Back