Bock being stubborn......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Brewed a Helles Bock or Pale Bock and OG was good at 1.060. Pitched Wyeast #2206 Bavarian Lager with plenty of cells via yeast starter. Pitched at 50 degrees. 15 days now at 50 degrees and activity looks like it has slowed considerably after being very active. Took a reading and I am at 1.020! Need to be at 1.012. I've been brewing for a long time now, but not too many Bocks under my belt. Do I just be patient and let it do its thing? Did I miscalculate and under pitch? Do I raise the fermentation temp? Thanks everyone in advance on feedback. Cheers.

Yeah that's on the low end of the yeast temp range...raise it up to 60-62, give the fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast also. I usually pitch at 50 and then after 3-4 days raise to 52, then after 3-4 more, to 54, then to low 60's for diacetyl rest.

As for if you underpitched, how big was yeast starter and what was date of yeast pack? Using Brewer's Friend yeast starter calculator, for 5 gallons of 1.060 lager, at their minimum lager rate, if the yeast was packaged today, you would need a 2.2 liter 1.040 starter. Older the yeast, the more you would need. Also, what was your mash temps? If you mashed higher than you were suppose to, then you could have unfermentable sugars which would be why you are higher than target FG.

Yeah that's on the low end of the yeast temp range...raise it up to 60-62, give the fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast also. I usually pitch at 50 and then after 3-4 days raise to 52, then after 3-4 more, to 54, then to low 60's for diacetyl rest.

As for if you underpitched, how big was yeast starter and what was date of yeast pack? Using Brewer's Friend yeast starter calculator, for 5 gallons of 1.060 lager, at their minimum lager rate, if the yeast was packaged today, you would need a 2.2 liter 1.040 starter. Older the yeast, the more you would need. Also, what was your mash temps? If you mashed higher than you were suppose to, then you could have unfermentable sugars which would be why you are higher than target FG.

I bumped up to 60 and gently swirled it. Used Brewer's Friend and pitched ~600 billion cells. Got there doing a 2 step starter.

And what were the grain bill, mash temp, and mash length?

43% Pilsner Malt
37% Maris Otter
20% Munich Malt

Mashed for 60 min at 150.4 degrees.

That's not a terribly fermentable grain bill, but with those mash parameters and the yeast strain, I'd also expect this to get down to about 1.012 (per BrewCipher). Sorry, I know that doesn't help... was suspecting a very unfermentable wort, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

That's not a terribly fermentable grain bill, but with those mash parameters and the yeast strain, I'd also expect this to get down to about 1.012 (per BrewCipher). Sorry, I know that doesn't help... was suspecting a very unfermentable wort, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Three base malts not fermentable? I don’t get it.

Three base malts not fermentable? I don’t get it.

I said "not terribly fermentable." Maris Otter and (especially) Munich are less fermentable than pilsner and even most other "pale" malts.

I bumped up to 60 and gently swirled it. Used Brewer's Friend and pitched ~600 billion cells. Got there doing a 2 step starter.

600 billion cells for a 5 gallon batch? Even at 50, that should have been enough to ferment it by now. Well hopefully warming it up and rousing the yeast helps you get down farther.

Back