bochet, 1400s Recipe From old YouTube Video, Aged two and a half years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edless

Reaction score
Posted this in the recipes section by accident. Dark, thick like motor oil. Bitterness has subsided, but lingers just enough to add depth. Mildly sweet now, with notes of vanilla, dark fruit and chocolate. Heavy smokiness but not like peat or smoked ales, more visceral and hard to describe. Tastes like.. A viking longboat, if it was on fire.

Second thing I ever homebrewed, and probably one of the best things I have ever tasted.

20141228_203129.jpg

Yeah, 1593. Sorry it's been two years since I even looked at the thing. Amazing stuff.

Found a bit more info on the beverage and i'm planning to make some fairly soon. Below is info I found using the video provided as a starting point.

This is an excerpt from Le Menagier de Paris
(France, 1393 - Janet Hinson, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website

BOUCHET. To make six sixths of bouchet, take six pints of fine sweet honey, and put it in a cauldron on the fire and boil it, and stir continually until it starts to grow, and you see that it is producing bubbles like small globules which burst, and as they burst emit a little smoke which is sort of dark: and then stir, and then add seven sixths of water and boil until it reduces to six sixths again, and keep stirring. And then put it in a tub to cool until it is just warm; and then strain it through a cloth bag, and then put it in a cask and add one chopine (half-litre) of beer-yeast, for it is this which makes it the most piquant, (and if you use bread yeast, however much you like the taste, the colour will be insipid), and cover it well and warmly to work. And if you want to make it very good, add an ounce of ginger, long pepper, grains of Paradise and cloves in equal amounts, except for the cloves of which there should be less, and put them in a cloth bag and throw in. And after two or three days, if the bouchet smells spicy enough and is strong enough, take out the spice-bag and squeeze it and put it in the next barrel you make. And thus you will be able to use these same spices three or four times.

info found on
http://www.medievalcookery.com/search/display.html?menag:510:GRNS

I started my first bochet today. I love how dark it is, I hope it stays that color.

Look forward to giving this a try once my Heather and Lavender meads are bottled, sure will be a treat to be brewing something with a more masculine flavour to it - my kitchen still smells floral

How long did you age yours?

I aged mine for a solid two years. Tried a bottle at one year; excellent, but not as good. The flavours in this are beastly, and really develop well with time. Next batch, I'll be cellaring some for considerably longer.

Also do you remember what yeast you used ,how long it took to ferment, and if you added nutrients?

I've just stumbled across this as I'm watching Vikings on History Channel and was thinking of trying to brew something in the Viking spirit soon. This sounds like just the thing to fill that need!

Back