German Pils Bo Berry Pils (West Coast Pilsner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

dirty_martini

Reaction score
What's everyone's preferred yeast? I've been doing a ton of split batch pilsners with various Escarpment vs diamond and W34/70 and every time liquid yeast beats dry hands down in my opinion, though, I'd give w34/70 the edge over diamond.

I want to give this recipe a go again now that I've really ironed out my pilsner attenuation issues.
I’ve done it with liquid and dry. My liquid lager yeast of choice is omega Bayern, which is the Augustiner strain. But I’ve come to learn that for this specific recipe (and cold ipa too), 34/70 is the superior yeast. And before you focus on dry or liquid being superior, know that the majority of pro brewers using 34/70 are using the fermentis dry.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
In case anyone missed this, a west coast Pilsner round table featuring Bob from highland park along with brewers from Firestone and humble sea. One thing i took from this, Timbos boil hops have switched from sterling or Saphir to adeena exclusively now.

Andre3000

Reaction score
I’ve done it with liquid and dry. My liquid lager yeast of choice is omega Bayern, which is the Augustiner strain. But I’ve come to learn that for this specific recipe (and cold ipa too), 34/70 is the superior yeast. And before you focus on dry or liquid being superior, know that the majority of pro brewers using 34/70 are using the fermentis dry.
Yes they are. I have heard it first hand from them. However I've done several split batches between liquid and dry and liquid always comes out on top in my opinion. However the w34/70 vs Isar was quite close.

nyer

Reaction score
I made the timbo clone on Monday and cooled to fermentation temp in my chamber until Tuesday. I made a starter for the 34/70 3 times and pitched Tuesday morning, by the afternoon it was already going. By Wednesday it was cranking and this morning it was already slowing down. It already went from 1053 to 1012, that's crazy for a lager yeast fermenting at 56. Easily the fastest lager fermentation I've ever had. Dry hops are going in tomorrow.

nyer

Reaction score
I've only had this in the keg on gas for a week and it's already superb. This is such a nice clean easy drinking beer, it smells and tastes like an excellent ipa except it has less bitterness and it's dry and crisp. I'm thinking this is my favorite beer I've made in over 20 years of homebrewing. I believe this one will earn a permanent position in my kegerator.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
I've only had this in the keg on gas for a week and it's already superb. This is such a nice clean easy drinking beer, it smells and tastes like an excellent ipa except it has less bitterness and it's dry and crisp. I'm thinking this is my favorite beer I've made in over 20 years of homebrewing. I believe this one will earn a permanent position in my kegerator.

Did you make any tweaks to it or did you follow the recipe as written?

Latest posts