BMC Clone Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Ok, I know that I am going to be lambasted (or worse) here, but I need to come up with a recipe for Coors Lite. I have had a kegerator for the last 6-8 years and have mostly kept Coors Lite in it. I have only been home brewing for a few months and have always enjoyed the flavor of more "robust" beers. However I have several friends and unfortunately family members that are "woosies" and will only drink "yellow beer". I would like to be able to brew up and keg a good beer for them that I would also enjoy. I am ready to do my first AG and would like to do a "Coors Lite" style. Any input would be appreciated. A benifit to this for ME would be that I can free up the kegerator space for about 4 cornies instead of 1 keg!!

Look for American Lite Hybrid. Most of them use rice syrup as 20-40% of the fermentables. It's a tough style for AG homebrewers, as the mash requires close temperature control to maximize the fermentables. Also, BMC are lagers, not ales.

Why not try a Mild?

david_42 said:
Look for American Lite Hybrid. Most of them use rice syrup as 20-40% of the fermentables. It's a tough style for AG homebrewers, as the mash requires close temperature control to maximize the fermentables. Also, BMC are lagers, not ales.

Why not try a Mild?

Thanks. I'll search for the American Lite Hybrid. I do have the equipment to lager if need be.

Bobby_M said:
F rice. Seriously, just make an all malt blonde ale.

7lbs two row
1/2 oz Centennial at 60min
1/2 oz Centennial at 0min
Safale S-05.

+100,000,000

Make a blonde and sway some of the unfortunates!

Or you could just put water in the keg with a little bit of yellow food coloring.

j/k :D

I agree with the other posters, make a blonde ale.

Try a blonde ale, cream ale, or mild. They'll be easier and more fun to brew. I think they'll please BMC drinkers, and will help edge them into more flavorful brews.

Aren't there like 7.5 gallon kegs available for the BMC beers that are about the diameter of a cornie? Ideally, yes do a blonde ale, but there will always be those fam./friends that gotta have their silver bullet.
Whenever I watch my BIL drink one I imagine him imagining that he is in one of those beach party sexy commercials. Comical if you know my BIL.

clindt said:
Or you could just put water in the keg with a little bit of yellow food coloring.

j/k :D

Not a bad idea, sounds like a recipe I could master. How do I get the aluminum can taste?

I'm searching for an American Blond. Thanks for all the input.

I would prefer AG. But not opposed to a good extract recipe. The main purpose of this is for me to find a recipe I can duplicate with relative ease, this would be a staple in my bar for those unfortunate friends/relatives with little or no taste (in beer that is).

Back