BM Centennial Blonde with clove finish?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
Brewed BM's Centennial Blonde, pitched Notty after chilling...popped open one the other day and was surprised to have a clovey finish much like my hefe that I used Wyeast Weistephan (sp?). The only thing I can think of could have been slighly elevated primary temps (68-70), but I never heard of it coming off with a clove after taste.

Any ideas?

Clove-like sounds like phenols. They are the same compound. Phenols can come from bleach or chlorine in the water, or too-high of a fermentation temperature, or from husks in the grain.

After sipping on my second one tonight, I noticed that it tasted almost exactly like a AHS Bavarian Hefe that I made and wasn't fond of because of the clove (due to the Weihenstephan yeast). I tried a Flying Dog hefe and Widmer and realized that the AHS Hefe was extremely similar. Now this beer tastes just like the AHS Bavarian Hefe BUT I used Notty and not Weihenstephan (Wyeast 3068)...what gives?

Back