blueberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougen

Reaction score
just started this because i found some juice that tased great and wanted to try it

got the juice from wegmans in the organic section not that bad of a price it was 5.99 for a 32oz bottle(just concentrate and water)

5.99x4=23.96 plus the yeast and other stuff around 26.00-27.00 a gallon/about 5.20-5.40 a bottle

4 - 32oz blueberry juice bottles(called r.w knudsen just blueberry)
1.75lbs - sugar( was hoping for 2lbs but thats what i had left)
1tps - acid blend
1/4 tsp - tannin
1tsp - yst nut.
1 packet - lalvin-d47 yeast

starting gravity is 1.110 a little high should top out at 16% as high as d47 can go

gunna ferment 30 days then rack every 30 untill clear then bottle wait 6 months then try

blueberrywine_zpsc2b4fc11.jpg

I love those Just Juices from Knudsen! Bought Just Cranberry and Just Pomegranate for back flavoring other wines.

I plan to make some 1.5 gallons with the Just juices.

First time using this juice should be a good wine....juice had a strong blueberry flavor and d47 makes a great fruit wine

No water added just the juice....bottle says filtered water and blueberry concentrate...so I figured why add water I want a full bodied wine anyway...but that's up to you if U wanted to add water...started it yesterday afternoon and its bubbling away as I type this

NICE. I'm going to have to try this, i've made some blueberry wine with berries, but it's a little more expensive and more work

I was thinking of making a blueberry cider, but this sounds better.
When I make cider the yeast usually ferments all the apple flavor out. I've never made wine before. Will this still leave some blueberry flavor in the wine after the fermentation is done?

Yes it should keep the blueberry flavor in it...I use d47 yeast its a great fruit wine yeast that brings out the fruit flavor...I make ciders to and km trying two types of yeast to see what's better...using 71b yeast and edworts applewein

I like to use the blueberry juice(look for shelf stable Wymans, Northland, Knudsens) but like to add even 1# of berries/gallon in the secondary or if www.homewinery.com has blueberry concentrate on hand I will use that as the base and the susse reserve. If you have a COSTCO nearby they usually carry Wyman's Wild Maine Blueberries in six pound bag in freezer case, or is it four pounds, for $8-9--price varies. Prepped some ground last season and will be planting a few blueberry bushes once they arrive.

well i plan on using fruit but i have to wait utill the local crops are ready here--i just got my grandfathers press so i plan on doing lots this summer but for now the jucie will have to do while i can use the cooler temps for d47 once sprinf and summer are her its hard to keep temps in the 60s

Dougen, please be sure to let us know how this tastes at bottling. I tried a 1 gallon batch using Trader Joe's "Blueberry Estate". I have to smile a bit as I type this (because I'm still in disbelief), but mine tastes a lot like hot dogs! My wine is still young (pitched yeast in late Dec). I've heard so many great things about blueberry wine, I'm wondering if I should give it another attempt with pure blueberry juice. The "Blueberry Estate" is a mix of blueberry, apple, and grape (and even a little lemon).

Bottom line: if you need a good hot dog wine recipe, let me know!

Yes I will keep everyone up todate how this is going....the yeast is still at war with the sugar and winning...lol...gonna bottle when its feted out to about .995.. gonna be a long time for that..1.110 starting...when I rack I will taste the sample to see how its going...then to my taste I might rack onto blueberries...a little pricy here about $12 for 2lbs at wegmans...so I might not

I started a batch of this today the only difference I used 2 lbs corn sugar I had SG reading of 1.114 when I rack in 30 days I will add 1lb of fresh berries

ForumRunner_20130407_181444.jpg

Nice looking good about the same as the one I have going....hope all goes well....going to rack mine in a couple of weeks...I'll let everyone know how its going

well I had some free time to check out the wine--its was time to rack----so I did ..lol---took a sample that read 1.010--starting to dry out like I like...lol...tasted the sample and it was like fresh blueberries with a VERY hot taste still a litte sweet but a good start for whats to come...don't think I am going to rack over blueberries gunna let this batch work itself out but the next batch I will do the same thing and then rack over blueberries as soon as I get a free carboy

This sounds like what I have been looking for. My Wegmans has the Knudsens Blueberry at $5.99 a bottle. Now I understand why you only did a 1 gallon batch :D

Just wondering if you did a gravity reading on just the juice? I'd like to make this, but with a lower ABV, perhaps 8 - 10% range.

Also, with the D47, do you get much of a krausen?

This sounds like what I have been looking for. My Wegmans has the Knudsens Blueberry at $5.99 a bottle. Now I understand why you only did a 1 gallon batch :D

Just wondering if you did a gravity reading on just the juice? I'd like to make this, but with a lower ABV, perhaps 8 - 10% range.

Also, with the D47, do you get much of a krausen?

I did not get a reading on the plain juice. But there was hardly any krausen

ForumRunner_20130605_202538.jpg

ForumRunner_20130605_202603.jpg

Back