Blueberry Wine became very dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have two blueberry wines.

Was curious as to which would turn out better, so I got a recipe using blueberries and sugar, and one just using blueberry juice (no preservatives, just juice, I checked the ingredients)

I measured both today to start seeing if I can bottle soon and took a sample taste. The one from juice was, other than the slight footy smell that tells me the fermentation is still going, was fantastic. The other one with the whole blueberries was very dry and tart (like blueberry tart, so not a bad tart).

I did my readings, and the one with the blueberry fruit (3 lbs blueberries, 2.4 pounds sugar, this was from an online recipe, and about a tsp pectic enzyme) went as low as 0.982, literally first line on the hydrometer, if it ferments more, I might have to add sugar simply because I won't be able to take a reading. This recipe I think might have been not so great, since when I made it it was so high the hydrometer couldn't read it and I diluted it down to 1.112. Right now it's 17% ABV.

Just wondering, should I consider backsweetening in in secondary? Or because it's already so low, add sugar to it now? I don't mind the tartness, that comes from the blueberry flavor. But it does feel overly dry.

If I have any concern about a country wine I would add 1 cup of sugar at 2nd racking, then prior to bottle it may need 1 more cup.

f I have any concern about a country wine I would add 1 cup of sugar at 2nd racking, then prior to bottle it may need 1 more cup.
But, unless you stabilize it first with metabisulphite and sorbate, any sugar you add will get fermented. Spend some time doing some reading around this forum to learn the technique of stabilizing, then backsweetening.

Back