Blueberry Wheat Beer Process Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDRJ

Reaction score
So I am plannin on making a blueberry wheat beer for the hot days ahead.

I am currently fermenting a 5 gal batch having used some wheat malt grains for steeping, a can of Coopers wheat malt extract and about half a container of pale malt extract for the fermentables, and Safbrew WB-06 for the yeast. Oh and about 1.5 ounces of Hault hops for bittering and aroma.

I have read this forum and others like it for a good solid answer on how to go about adding fruit to a beer, and it seems like quite a few people go about adding it to secondary when primary is done fermenting.

Now with all that being said my plan was to pick up a few packages of frozen blueberries (around 4 pounds or so) and heat them up to 160 for a few mins, blend them into a puree, add it to secondary and add the fermented beer on top of it and let it sit for a week or until it is done fermenting again to bottle it.

Is my plan a good one or does anyone else have a better way of doing a blueberry wheat beer that I dont know of?

It's a solid plan.
I prefer to throw mine in a blender with vodka, but heating them will work too. Just let them cool a bit before racking on to them. 4 pounds of fruit can hold temp for a while.

Thanks for the reply CJ-3. Vodka could work too how much would you use?

Normally I blend about 24 ounces of blackberries at a time with 2 or 3 shots of vodka poured on top.

How does the taste come out with using vodka? 2-3 shots per 5 gal batch should not make that much difference?

I don"t know if that matters, but being the most of the risk coming from the exterior of the fruit, i would give the fruit a "rinse" or agitated soak with the vodka a few minutes before blending. This way you take avantage of an undiluted bodka wash on the skins.
After this blend with the same liquid
I have some this once a long time ago with nance a bittersweet local fruit on a made up fruit beer for which I no longer have records as it was looooong before all this homebrewing craze developed.

I wouldn't bother transferring to secondary. Once initial fermentation begins to slow, add the puree to the primary fermenter.

The local home brew store suggested that since they are frozen and packaged they should be free of any nasties. However I dont want to take that chance.

Also I read that if the berries heat up enough the pectin in them will start to create a jelly.

So what if I were to soak them in vodka for a few mins, strain them into a sanitized blender, puree them and then add to either the primary or secondary?

How does the taste come out with using vodka? 2-3 shots per 5 gal batch should not make that much difference?

I always use vodka with fruit additions and to be honest I have never noticed a taste issue or alcohol burn because of it.

The local home brew store suggested that since they are frozen and packaged they should be free of any nasties. However I dont want to take that chance.

Also I read that if the berries heat up enough the pectin in them will start to create a jelly.

So what if I were to soak them in vodka for a few mins, strain them into a sanitized blender, puree them and then add to either the primary or secondary?

I'd skip the straining and blend with the vodka.
It.he's been discussed before that a couple of ounces of vodka don't make much difference in taste or alcohol content. In the end vodka is only 40% alcohol.
So almost two thirds is water anyway.

The last blueberry wheat I made I took 6lbs of defrosted frozen blueberries, dumped them in the blender (as much as I could fit at time) and pureed them. Then I dumped the whole mess straight into the fermenter. No vodka (though I wouldn't have a problem using it) and no heating. Had no issues with nasties. Of course this is just one data point, so maybe I just got lucky. I'll be doing the same process to make a strawberry wheat in the near future. I've also done this with bananas, but I did add some rum to the puree. No heat though, and no issues, either.

I too would be worried that if you try to pasteurize the berries by heating, you might set the pectin and end up with a mess. So, if that is your choice, then add some pectic enzyme.
However, I really feel based on some experience that you don't have to worry about sanitizing the fruit addition. I've added frozen blueberries, raspberries, or cherries several times without any problems. My technique is to let the fruit thaw somewhat, then mash them before refreezing. Then I add them to the fermenter still frozen, usually after 1 week of fermentation so the yeast are still active. I have done this in the primary or in a secondary. Both have worked.
By the way- blueberry flavor is subtle. My latest batch was 2.5G of a BM clone to which I added 3 lb of frozen blueberries(used a secondary this time). Turned out to have a nice blueish color with a funny pinkish head, but very little blueberry flavor. The 2nd 1/2 of the batch I added 2 lb of raspberries, and that was plenty. Pretty strong raspberry flavor.

Well I ended up using close to 5 pounds of frozen blueberries and mixed a lil bit of vodka in with it just on the off chance.

Added the puree to a secondary carboy and siphoned the beer into it.

Heres to hoping it all turns out great. If not thats fine too. Live and learn. Thank you all for the input. Will let you know how it turns out :)

I made a blueberry beer. Blind tasting, nobody out of 5 or 6 tasters could discern blueberries in it unless I told them that was what they were drinking. Color was probably a little pinkish, flavor definitely fruity. That was 6 or 7 years ago, I added Oregon BB puree, I'd probably do something different (?) if I tried again. It was a fail for sure.

Well here it is this morning on the left. The blueberries have risen to the top some what and the airlock is bubbling along nicely. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I find it interesting to that the foam is white around the edge but I guess thats normal.

I add 3 lbs of frozen blueberries in the primary after fermentation as stopped. No blending, heating, washing, vodka or secondary.

It always comes out great!!

For some reason the images did not transfer from the phone, here they are

20160527_085144.jpg

20160527_084936.jpg

So I just tried a sample today @ 1 week. The gravity is a 1.002 and has a slight wine/tart taste which i am not sure is coming from the beer or the blueberries. Any ideas?

It's from the blueberries. Pretty much exactly how mine turned out. In fact, looking back at my tasting notes, I wrote, "Blueberry is very strong, almost wine-like. Pretty good, really." Looks about the same too. After I kegged it I added a pound of lactose to raise the FG to about 1.008 or so. I thought it was a little too dry @ 1.002. It's an interesting beer. I still have most of it and am thinking about maybe pulling off a gallon or two and putting it on lacto for a year. I think it would make a great sour.

WP_20160528_001.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking the same. If its the same gravity tomorrow i may just bottle it and wait a month to see how it turns out

Back