Blueberry Vanilla American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbertucci92

Reaction score
Not too long ago I my fiancé and I had a beer out of Havasu Az called big blue van. Now my fiancé has been bugging me for months to try to recreate it. I am now looking to have my recipe checked. I am brewing a 5 gallon batch of an American wheat. I am going to add blueberries and vanilla pods in the secondary. Just wanted to see if you thought I would get the correct flavors from these grains to achieve an almost blueberry muffin like taste.

MASH
5lbs -white wheat malt 44.8%
4lbs- maris otter pale malt 35.9%
12oz- munich 10L 6.7%
8oz- honey malt 4.5%
8oz- victory 4.5%
6.4oz- maltodextrin 3.6%

BOIL
.5oz- mosaic @ 30 minutes

SG: 1.058
Target FG: 1.019
Estimated ABV 5.1%

Thanks for the comments

So I've never had to beer but with anything clone recipe it intrigues me. I found this:

389983F0-33B3-4A19-AB97-C3B9BDA4FDE1.png

Looks like starting gravity is lower and ferments down to about 1.007 which is gonna be dry.

As for your recipe why the honey malt, victory and maltodextrine? The honey is going to add considerable sweetness that I don't believe will mesh well with the biscuit flavor of the victory.

My American Wheat recipe is pretty simple 50/50 MO and White Wheat Malt, Munich and Flaked Wheat...thats it, gives a good base to let hops shine or any adjunct you choose.

I have been contemplating the honey to be honest. It has a sweet front and a very refreshing finish. The tartness doesn’t come from the blueberry though it comes from the wheat tang. In my initial thought was that the blueberry may make it tart

Not too long ago I my fiancé and I had a beer out of Havasu Az called big blue van. Now my fiancé has been bugging me for months to try to recreate it. I am now looking to have my recipe checked. I am brewing a 5 gallon batch of an American wheat. I am going to add blueberries and vanilla pods in the secondary. Just wanted to see if you thought I would get the correct flavors from these grains to achieve an almost blueberry muffin like taste.

MASH
5lbs -white wheat malt 44.8%
4lbs- maris otter pale malt 35.9%
12oz- munich 10L 6.7%
8oz- honey malt 4.5%
8oz- victory 4.5%
6.4oz- maltodextrin 3.6%

BOIL
.5oz- mosaic @ 30 minutes

SG: 1.058
Target FG: 1.019
Estimated ABV 5.1%

Thanks for the comments
So I've never had to beer but with anything clone recipe it intrigues me. I found this:

View attachment 718084

Looks like starting gravity is lower and ferments down to about 1.007 which is gonna be dry.

As for your recipe why the honey malt, victory and maltodextrine? The honey is going to add considerable sweetness that I don't believe will mesh well with the biscuit flavor of the victory.

My American Wheat recipe is pretty simple 50/50 MO and White Wheat Malt, Munich and Flaked Wheat...thats it, gives a good base to let hops shine or any adjunct you choose.
Would you mash @ say 144-146 to achieve that lower final gravity?

This is a light dry beer thats why the flavors come though
If I were to attempt this is were I would start

5 LB 2 Row
5LB White wheat
this will get you close to that 4 SRM and 1.048 OG

I would mash about 155

now 6 IBU's
we dont need much here 7 grams of British Kent golding @ 6% A/A 50 minute boil and you should be about there

I would use US-05 to finish dry and clean

I would honestly use and all natural blueberry extract and a all natural vanilla extract to dial in the balance of flavors your looking for you will have far more control and also have the ability to add more and tinker with the flavor until dialed in
only you know what your going for here

If you can do a step mash, I would do 145° for 30 minutes and then 158° for 30 minutes plus a mash out.

If not, you can go that low butI've had good success at 148°.
I have a 15.5 Gallon keggle with RIMS tube I do BIAB with. So I have the ability to do the step mash.

Attachments

• B2642085-14EC-4E7E-89C9-E3253863AEE3.jpeg
    B2642085-14EC-4E7E-89C9-E3253863AEE3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
My impression: too many malts with too much additional character contribution. What @OG-wan Kenobi suggested is exactly what I’d do. Pale 2-row and white wheat, no other grain. The only difference is that I’d mash it at 152*

Flavor extract for the blueberries and vanilla if you want no fuss.

5 LB 2 Row
5LB White wheat

I would mash about 155

now 6 IBU's
we dont need much here 7 grams of British Kent golding @ 6% A/A 50 minute boil and you should be about there

I would honestly use and all natural blueberry extract and a all natural vanilla extract to dial in the balance of flavors your looking for you will have far more control and also have the ability to add more and tinker with the flavor until dialed in
Thanks for the advice. I have knocked all the adjuncts out of the recipe. I think I’m going to stick with the step mash. Try to get it to ferment dry.

5 LB 2 Row
5LB White wheat

I would mash about 155

now 6 IBU's

Any specific extract brands that you know of that have a natural blueberry flavor and not artificial. Big Blu Van taste like actual blueberries and I used a blueberry extract (One on One Flavors) in my wheat beer but it tasted too sweet and artificial. Granted I'm pretty sure I used too much but im wanting the natural flavor without the color

Latest posts

Back