Blueberry something.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_al

Reaction score
It started as a recipe from Terry Gerrys book, p. 90, Sal's Blueberry wine...

it turned into 4.5 lbs of fresh blueberries from a friends farm, a nice mix of sweet and tart.

5.5 lbs of wildflower/white clover honey a mix of leftovers I had laying around.

9.5 pints of water, I started by doubling the recipe amount but I removed water to compensate for honey not thinking about how it would raise the OG... so I added some more after it was reading 1.1 before fruit...

So in the little bucket are the blueberries and filled with honey/water mixture up to 2 gallons and in another 1 gallon jug the rest of the honey/water.

both are cooling so I can take a reading and add pectic enzyme, tannin and some acid as well as campden tabs.
2 tsp nutrient
4 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp tannin

in the no fruit jug i put...
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp acid blend

I will be topping off with the just honey and water mix with the option of adding more fruit in secondary we have 30 lbs of blueberries and a chance to get more, which is good because 15 lbs is eaten or bubbling away already after 2 days.

waiting for it all to cool so i can take a reading.

1.096 for the blueberry and 1.084 for the leftovers, added d47 and it seems to be starting up slowly but surely.

Well the only thing I would have left out of the recipe is the acid.

That harks back to when they thought you needed it to make a batch of must more like grape juice.

Whereas in fact it will already be low enough pH for the yeast.

I would just standby with a pH meter and some potassium carbonate...

And keep stirring twice daily to break up any capping that might form from the fruit pulp.....

I only add acid too taste after the ferment has finished. ....

I had a nagging feeling about the acid, I will watch it and stir it, I have test strips but not a meter yet, I do have the potassium carbonate... Acid seems to be my nemesis on most batches, they ferment good but i'm not happy with the flavor. But I learn every time so sooner or later it wont we an issue.

Back