Blueberry port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashplub

Reaction score
I am planning a 3 gallon batch of a blueberry "port" for my next HB adventure. I am using the recipe on Jack Keller's website as my base sans dry malt.

6 lb. blueberries
1/2 pt. red grape concentrate
1/2 c. light dry malt
1-3/4 lb. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1-1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
1/2 tsp. wine stabilizer
4 pt. water
crushed Campden tablet
wine yeast

I am going to use 3 cans of grape juice concentrate and enough sugar for a big wine. 16-18 % and fermentor feed it until the FG does not fall anymore. What do think I should aim for as a FG? I was thinking 1.025 or thereabouts.

I have not used acid blend yet. Does the amount look right?

I have a packet of EC-1118 to use for this do you guys see this as a good choice?

I plan to add Portuguese brandy at bottling after aging. I know it might be optimal to let it age a bit with the brandy but I see a problem with keeping the headspace at a minimum after adding .75 liters. Do you see a problem with adding it at bottling?

Listed is for 1 gal. I plan on doing this....

18lbs of frozen blueberries into clean/sanitized bucket with pectic enzyme and enough water to cover. I am thinking I should put blueberries in a mesh bag.
Treat with campden
After 1 day add 3 cans grape juice, sugar and water to SG 1.14-1.15 goal. Stir in yeast food.
Pitch Ec-1118
Stir daily for a week.
Leave on lees for 2-3 weeks and measure SG.

for the red grape concentrate are you simply using something like welch's 100% grape? any updates in the last two months?

Yeap. Welch's juice concentrate. I am made some very decent cheap wines from that stuff. Blueberry-raspberrry and raspberry-cranberry were really good.

I decided to do a lighter 6 gallon mixed fruit wine since my 3 gal carboy is in use right now and will not be free for a few months. Here's what I did.

Uncle Sam Walton's Sangria

1 x 10 lb bag of mixed fruit (mango, peaches, pineapple and strawberries).
4 X 3 lb bags mixed berry (blackberries, raspberries and blueberry).
22lbs fruit total.
1 bottle Welch's Concord grape juice. 64oz
about 7.5 lbs Sugar and water to 1.078 and 6.25 gal.
1 tsp tannin
1 T pectic enzyme
1 T energizer
EC-1118

We shall see. Still not sure about acid. This will be the first batch I will add acid too.

I did 5 gallons of mixed berries, red raspberry, blueberry, strawberry and blackberry. It is one of our favorites. Made an f-pack out of the same kind of berries.

Back