Blueberry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
Ingredients
1oz Saaz Hops (yes!)
12oz Blueberries
2lbs Wildflower Honey
1/2 gallon Langers 100% blueberry juice
1/5th Fruit Mead (Melomel) Pack
1/4 tsp Fermax Yeast Nutrient
1/2tsp Yeast Energizer
1pkg Lavlin D47 Yeast

Boil .5oz Saaz for 10 minutes in 1.5L of water. While that is boiling take the blueberries and try to mash them up a little bit while they are in the bag. Add 12oz frozen blueberries and another .5oz Saaz and boil for another 10 minutes. Cool to under 170°F, add 2lbs wildflower honey. Add Must to the fermenter and cool. The nutrient and energizer are supposed to be in the mead pack already, but I figured a little extra cannot hurt. I added a half dose of each energizer and nutrient for good measure. This is the first time making this mead... I'll update this recipe in a number of months when its finished and bottled. Top off the ferementer with the 1/2 gallon of Langers 100% blueberry juice and the rest with water. Wait!

So how did this one turn out? It sounds delicious. I'm hoping to do my first mead this weekend and may have to try this recipe, with or without confirmation.

Fall's here. I'd like to know how this turned out. I like the idea of using hops in mead, but haven't heard of anyone making one, tasting, and reporting.
Thanks

I'm trying the imagine the hops flavor mixed with a blueberry melomel and I'm not really getting a pleasant picture. I am also curious about the results as well.

As for your recipe, it is usually a bad idea to boil fruit. That will set the pectins causing a hazy mead in addition the flavors will change. If you feel you must sterilize the fruit then pasteurize the fruit with a few minutes at about 160F or lower. This will still kill the bugs but do much less damage to the fruit. I usually don't heat my fruit at all when making mead or wine. If I am concerned about wild yeasts or bacteria I will add campden tablets to the must 24 hours before pitching the yeast.

Craig

Back