blueberry extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4n13l4

Reaction score
Hello
I'm planing on brewing a blueberry wit (all grain) and the recipe calls for blueberry extract but I can only find the extract in tablets like vitamin
Do you think I can use this?

I also wanted to add this extract to a pale ale I have fermenting so it would go for secondary so while I could replace the extract part for the wit with real fruit at boil or other options for the pale ale won't cut.

Thanks!

I've used the blueberry extract from Brewers Best . It was a blueberry honey ale. It was an extract kit which was pretty good .

Was your extract liquid?
The problem I have is that I can only find extract as tablets so I don't know if this would work

Never seen extract in tablet form but if it's anything similar to liquid be very careful about dosage amounts as my experience with liquid is they recommend using about 2-5x more than you require, and high concentrations impart an "artificial" flavor some do not enjoy.

Was your extract liquid?
The problem I have is that I can only find extract as tablets so I don't know if this would work

Yes it was liquid.
BrewersBest national flavors
I'd use actual blueberries instead of a pill

Last edited:
Yes it was liquid.
BrewersBest national flavors
I'd use actual blueberries instead of a pill
yes I would also prefer that.
If I want to use blueberry in secondary for my pale ale, would adding them as puree to get the flavor work? I think it should

yes I would also prefer that.
If I want to use blueberry in secondary for my pale ale, would adding them as puree to get the flavor work? I think it should

Blueberry flavor is delicate and I've found that adding blueberries to my beer just got me a purple color and a more acidic beer without much blueberry flavor. Adding extract gives flavor but to me the blueberry extract I used tasted fake. Higher quality extracts may be better.

The problem with using real fruit is the Sugar it brings with it. Partial yeast food, not enough to feed em, just enough to get em to eat it and not sure if that stresses them. That Sugar/sachrides is what gives flavor, like making apple pie. If you think you can use more apples you end up with a soggy, large, crappy pie, however if you use an apple cider / concentrate your pie has apple flavor galore and not soggy. So the concentrates are designed for a purpose and not just for convenience.
I see no problem using powder form other then chelated parts floating, which would make me want to boil it for the last 5-10 min of boil. Amazon and the likes have anything you need.
I make a Grapefruit IPA that I achieve using the right Hops and orange concentrate at bottling. No complaints, only orders. Same with a Black licorice Rye IPA I make, using the right Hops and Star Anise last 10min of boil. Cheers

Back