Blueberry American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COMiamiFan

N00b
Reaction score
Started 3 weeks ago a blueberry infused American Wheat. Been craving a good blueberry beer so I thought why the hell not, let's go for it!

I'm still a n00b so using kits. This one was from my LHBS.

IMG_4208.JPG

Sat in primary for 3 weeks and just finished racking it in secondary with the fruit this weekend.

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4575.JPG

Followed y'alls advice and used frozen berries and some vodka to kill and bad bacteria that didn't die during the freezing process. Decided to use a steeping sock to avoid solids in the beer and avoid any clogging during siphoning to the bottling bucket later. Perhaps that will reduce some contact with the berries and not have a strong blueberry flavor at the end of it, but I won't know until I know LOL

In two days time the beer has a beautiful deep purple color :yes:

I did not get fermentation in secondary which I assume it's a good thing? I will be bottling this weekend and then anxiously wait to drink this bad boy once it conditions in a couple of weeks or so.

Only question I have is should I reduce a bit the priming sugar amount? Thinking the blueberries added some sugar to the beer so would I have bursting bottles if I add what the recipe calls for?

Let me know and feel free to critique what the heck I'm doing LOL and TIA.

Take this with a grain of salt since I have not done any fruited beers... but if you added fruit in secondary then you added some sugars and there should be fermentation. Did you take hydrometer readings before adding berries and then will you take another to compare and determine if fermentation is indeed complete?

Take this with a grain of salt since I have not done any fruited beers... but if you added fruit in secondary then you added some sugars and there should be fermentation. Did you take hydrometer readings before adding berries and then will you take another to compare and determine if fermentation is indeed complete?
Yep. I did that reading before adding berries. I will take another one afterwards as well. FG readings where stable in primary; verified that before moving to secondary. Will take final reading before bottling to get final ABV. Calc'd 3.93 prior to adding fruit.

There was a change in pressure in the s lock when I first added fruit, but no gurgling.

Back