Blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzf426scott

Reaction score
So I'm making a blueberry ale I'm trying to decide between two options

1.fresh blueberries washed crushed and frozen
2.frozen blueberries thaw them crush them and refreeze

Any thoughts on wich is better?
How much should I use?
Should I put them into the secondary still frozen?
Or should I thaw them first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I wash mine, freeze them in an open vacuum packer bag. then when frozen I vacuum them. When I am getting ready to put them in the secondary I thaw them and the vacuum in the bag crushes the berries, I help out with a little extra squishing before pitching them into the secondary and racking on top of them. thats the process I followed with this beer

I am going to be brewing this again using store bought frozen blueberries to see if there is a difference.

I wash mine, freeze them in an open vacuum packer bag. then when frozen I vacuum them. When I am getting ready to put them in the secondary I thaw them and the vacuum in the bag crushes the berries, I help out with a little extra squishing before pitching them into the secondary and racking on top of them. thats the process I followed with this beer

I am going to be brewing this again using store bought frozen blueberries to see if there is a difference.
How much should i use?

Back