Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and yes, you can likely save on the rice hulls at this stage for sure...my bad, just putting it out there...I'm always more on the side of, "more is better" when it comes to information...

I also did this for my Second Batch Ever. I chose to mini-mash and extract. If you do that, *do not skip the rice hulls*. I did; My mini mash looked like oatmeal and freaked me out so badly I wound up scorching my LME in the kettle trying to get enough liquid out of the cooler. What came out smelled like an ashtray and not the good rauschbier kind. Dumped it, chalked it up to experience.

More question about this recipe... If I am doing the partial mash recipe as per post 5, and I am scaling to 3 gallons in Beersmith...

1- with less volume, is scaling.the hops linearly fine? Or should I change the amount to account for utilization differences?

2- post 5 says to mash the flaked wheat... But you can't mash wheat on its own, can you? I'm confused by this...

Sorry to bump, but I've got ingredients on order for the extract version of this (Post #5), and just need confirmation that the recipe/instruction as written are correct...

I'm to mash the wheat, all on it's own, for about an hour?

In which case, we aren't truly mashing, correct? There is no sugar conversion with wheat alone, right? We are actually just steeping the grains for protein/starch, and all of the fermentables are provided by the extract?

So, my ingredients were delivered today. If all goes well, I'm hoping to set aside a few hrs to brew the extract version this weekend... so I'm trying one last ditch effort here to confirm that the intent of the Extract version in Post #5 (Biermuncher) is truly to steep the wheat on it's own for an hour ... ?

I have to assume the wheat is intended solely for color/haze/flavor/head retention, as everywhere I look says the wheat can not self-convert, yet Biermuncher is saying a longer steep of the wheat, on it's own, will increase ABV, which means there is conversion.

If I hear nothing I'll just go ahead and steep the wheat on it's own, and hope I don't end up with a mess of a beer in the end. lol

I'm editing the recipe in Beersmith to make the wheat considered unfermentable, getting my ABV from the extracts. Just hoping that steeping this amount of wheat (and going to try to add a little bit of oats too) won't make some weird mess of a brew.

I think you will be ok doing it as is...however, I'm not speaking from any experience, as I have never done this, or any other, extract recipe before...more of an educated guess and that his recipes and instructions tend to be written very well and with good directions.

good luck and cheers!

I'm trying one last ditch effort here to confirm that the intent of the Extract version in Post #5 (Biermuncher) is truly to steep the wheat on it's own for an hour ... ?

I have to assume the wheat is intended solely for color/haze/flavor/head retention, as everywhere I look says the wheat can not self-convert

If you got flaked wheat, then it can't convert itself. If you got wheat malt then it can convert itself and you'll want to adjust your extract amount to account for this.

The flaked wheat will give you some haze and body if you mash it on its own but it won't add anything to the fermentables/ABV.

Thanks Snake and Bolus.

And yes, it's flaked wheat, as shown in the recipe. Going on the assumption that Biermuncher made an error in stating that a longer steep would increase ABV.

Got everything I need... off to the races! (assuming life doesn't get in the way this weekend)

Brewed up my tweaked version of Biermunchers extract recipe of this last Saturday.

Had a great day. It took me a long time, as I'm still a noob and so had to think two or three times about ever thing I did, lol, but it went well I think.

I've got the beer in the primary bucket inside my Coolbrew cooler, keeping it around 64F. Using US-05 yeast.

It started a small amount of activity about 5 or 6 hours after pitching. By the following morning the airlock was going nuts.

As of this morning (~ 60 hrs in) it's settled down to a burp every 5 seconds or so.

Can someone let me know if I'm on the right track for fermentation schedule?

I was thinking of letting it go at 64F for 4 or 5 days, then let it come up to the high 60's or 70F for another week. Then take a couple successive FG readings and bottle after what would be a total of about 2 weeks in primary.

Does that sound OK? I know it's common to suggest a good 3 weeks in primary, but I've also read that wheat beers don't really need the extra conditioning time.

Also, what's a carbonation carbonation volume on this? 2.5?

I went two weeks in a swamp cooler, and it was down to 1.009. Few more days outside at 68 and it's at 1.007. I'd let it go. I'm using US-05 too.

I see where lots of Witbiers are quite carbonated, like above 3.0. I'm going to 2.7 when I bottle this weekend. Should be done then.

I went two weeks in a swamp cooler, and it was down to 1.009. Few more days outside at 68 and it's at 1.007. I'd let it go. I'm using US-05 too.

I see where lots of Witbiers are quite carbonated, like above 3.0. I'm going to 2.7 when I bottle this weekend. Should be done then.

When you say "let it go", you mean keep it going the whole time at the cooler temp? Or do you mean let it ramp up to the high 60's, and then let it go longer than my suggested week?

When you say "let it go", you mean keep it going the whole time at the cooler temp? Or do you mean let it ramp up to the high 60's, and then let it go longer than my suggested week?

Sorry, missed this. After 2 weeks at the cooler temp, you can let it ramp up. That will allow everything to clean up, and won't affect fermentation much, because the overwhelming majority of fermentation will already be done.

Thanks Jay.

As it happens, I already allowed the temp to creep up to 68.

After 5-6 days, there was no more airlock activity, and the krausen had all but completely fallen, so on day 7 I took the ice bottle out of my cooler bag, which had the beer warming up to about 66F over the course of a day or so, then yesterday (day 9) I moved the bucket out of the storage room into the living room where it's warmed up to 68-69F and I'll hold it there for the remainder of the week.

Will do a couple FG readings, maybe Thursday and Saturday, and if steady, will bottle Saturday night or Sunday.

I took a good smell through the bung hole (damn that never sounds right) and it smells amazing!

Bottled about 3 gallons of a modified version of BM's extract version on post 5 ( added some oats and a bit of sugar to up the abv slightly, and opted.for us-05 yeast).

Looking forward to tasting it.

Should I wait the typical 3 weeks for bottle conditioning on this?

Should I wait the typical 3 weeks for bottle conditioning on this?

I'm happiest with the product when I wait the whole 3 weeks. Sometimes it takes a little longer than that, when it's cooler.

I'm in your position right now, waiting. This weekend is 3 weeks!

I'm happiest with the product when I wait the whole 3 weeks. Sometimes it takes a little longer than that, when it's cooler.

I'm in your position right now, waiting. This weekend is 3 weeks!

This was my second ever homebrew batch, and the first one took a full 3+ weeks, I just wasn't sure if a wheat beer played by different rules.

I couldn't resist trying my test bottle (last bottle filled, only enough to half fill it) after a week in the bottle.

I put it in the fridge on Sunday, and gave it a try tonight.

Definitely not done conditioning yet (not surprised), tons of 'hiss' on opening and a lot of big bubbles, but they died quick (assuming after another couple weeks the CO2 will more fully dissolve into the beer).

And this bottle had a ton of headspace, so was not ideal... but I have no big complaints.

There was not much of the orange/coriander taste, but that may come out more when the carbing settles down, and from a bottle with a proper small headspace, not sure. I served it with a wedge of orange to kick up the orange a bit.

Very easy-drinking beer... I think the wife is going to be happy with this (she requested an easy, refreshing, summer beer, along the lines of a Rickards White)... doesn't taste like the 5.1% alc it is.

Definitely looking forward to this after a full 3 weeks or so in the bottle.

The glass photo is immediately after the pour. The bulk of the bubbles clung to the side of the glass, and within a couple minutes, all visible bubbles had dissipated.

I love the color, and the hazyness of it.

This is the recipe I went with:

Recipe: "Not A Blue Moon" - 3.25 Gal - Extract
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.89 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.39 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 1 16.7 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
1 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 22.2 %
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 22.2 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 5 24.1 IBUs
1 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](8.0 Dry Extract 6 22.2 %
4.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 15 min]( Sugar 7 5.6 %
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 4 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
155 Add 3.98 gal of water at 157.9 F 155.0 F 60 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18671062_10154447860802791_1659692219001927289_n.jpg

Just wanted to update on this brew.

I'm just shy of 3 weeks bottle conditioning now, using the recipe in the post above, and it's turned out quite nicely.

It's still lacking in citrus aroma/flavour, so if I make this again, I'll up the coriander/orange peel.

But, it's a nice brew... very easy drinking, refreshing, light-tasting, but with a more "full" flavour and feel than commercial light-tasting brews... great with a slice of orange in it. Carbonation has turned out quite nice, good head on it, doesn't last terribly long, but not too shabby, and will likely continue to improve a bit with a little more aging.

Will be a great summer brew.

NotABlueMoon.jpg

Just wanted to update on this brew.

I'm just shy of 3 weeks bottle conditioning now, using the recipe in the post above, and it's turned out quite nicely.

It's still lacking in citrus aroma/flavour, so if I make this again, I'll up the coriander/orange peel.

But, it's a nice brew... very easy drinking, refreshing, light-tasting, but with a more "full" flavour and feel than commercial light-tasting brews... great with a slice of orange in it. Carbonation has turned out quite nice, good head on it, doesn't last terribly long, but not too shabby, and will likely continue to improve a bit with a little more aging.

Will be a great summer brew.

Did you use dried orange peel?

Just brewed this all grain recipe last night. Smelled great, I ended up using Canadian 2 row pale malt and up'd the orange peel and coriander. My local brew shop only had WB-06, has anyone used this yeast for a belgian wit before. They assured me it would work well but id like to hear from someone on here who has used it. I currently have it fermenting at 68 degrees in my basement.

Thanks all.
Look forward to trying this.

Looking at brewing this for a party and had a few questions.

- Could I go from grain to glass in 4 weeks? Most likely using US05.
- In what quantity would I use fresh orange zest instead of dried peel?

Thanks!

If you use fresh zested orange peel, making sure not to get any of the white pith it will be very citrusy and can sometimes be overwhelming. I wouldn't use anymore than .75 oz in the last five minutes of the boil. I tend to stick with the bitter dried peel.

Newer to all grain brewing. I brewed this recipe today. I put 3.5 gallons of water in my mash tun for 60 mins then 3 gallons for sparge. After my 60min boil I needed up with only 3 gals and OG was 1.080. I added 1 gallon water to my bucket to bring it up to 4 gals and an OG of 1.038. What happened to the other 3 gals of missing wort? I unstand I will lose some during boil , but how is everyone else following this recipe and it's working out perfect

Newer to all grain brewing. I brewed this recipe today. I put 3.5 gallons of water in my mash tun for 60 mins then 3 gallons for sparge. After my 60min boil I needed up with only 3 gals and OG was 1.080. I added 1 gallon water to my bucket to bring it up to 4 gals and an OG of 1.038. What happened to the other 3 gals of missing wort? I unstand I will lose some during boil , but how is everyone else following this recipe and it's working out perfect

Adding a gallon to 3 gallons of 1.080 wort will only give you 1.060…

Obviously your tun didn't drain properly... you left almost half your wort behind. For a detailed discussion and advice you might want to start a thread in the AG sub forum, but here's my quick take on it. You got a partially stuck mash, probably due to the sticky nature of the wheat. Ordinarily you'll lose about a gallon per 10 lbs of grain, but if your screen or false bottom or whatever you use, gets clogged, The wort will just remain held up in the mash. Try some rice hulls in the mash next time.

Does anyone know what the ABV of this is? I got an OG of 1.038 and took a quick sample when I switched to 2nd fermenter to warm up a bit. I got 1.010. Does this not seem low on the ABV?
Cheers

Going by your numbers that's about 3.67% ABV. The OP, notes 1.038 OG with a 1.007 FG, which gives about 4.07%, so yours is .4% lower.

So I need to wait it out a little longer in the secondary and hope the fg drops a little more in slightly warmer temps?

You can wait a little longer if you want. Fermentis site lists 64-75 as optimal fermentation temps, you said you fermented at 68 so well within range, but sometimes raising the temps while they finish helps to get full attenuation quicker.

I couldn't find anything on expected apparent attenuation for the strain, right now you're at about 74% which is typical for wheat strains in my experience. If you want to try to get a few more points out of it raise it to the mid to upper 70's for a few days to a week, check the gravity and if it's moved, good, if not you're likely not going to get anymore out of it. Some of it depends on your full grain bill and mash temps.

This brew has been my fourth AG batch and unfortunately also my first stuck fermentation.

OG of 1.050 - I missed my numbers and shooting for 1.048. After 10 days this beer got stuck at 1.020.

I tried raising the temp, agitating the yeast and adding yeast nutrient without success, assuming my one packet of liquid yeast had given out (3 gallon batch).

I was looking for options to get things going again and ran into amylase enzyme as a possibility for kick starting a grain bill with a high % of wheat theorizing that there was a fair amount of unconverted starches after my 60 min mash. After dumping 1/2 tsp amylase enzyme into the fermenter, it was happily chugging away again after <12 hours.

However, I measured it today after 3 days and it measured 1.003 FG, so it over attenuated with the amylase addition and yeast nutrients, as well as a higher temp. So unfortunately, everything I did to rouse the fermentation I should've backed off of earlier.

Just having a pint of this as of writing. Hey don't judge me it's afternoon. Just..;)
I brewed 10 gallons all grain which is my second 10 gallon batch ever! Brewing on my newly built Keggle system.
Was brewed to have a light beer for a family reunion weekend and boy was it a hit! Popped the first keg on the first day! I ended up using the zest of two lemons and two oranges. I didn't dry the zest before throwing in to the BK but still came out very flavorful and aromatic but threw it in around 10 minutes before flame out to give it a little extra. Have had nothing but compliments and that it's not the typical "Homebrew" they've tasted. Great Job BierMuncher! Going to try your Centennial Blonde next!

Brewed it last Sunday, took a hydrometer sample today (O.G.1.034, currently 1.010) and this is tasting really good. Much much better than the first time I tried it. This may be going to the rotation. Used fresh tangerine peel instead of the dried bitter orange peel and it's still coming through. It may not be a perfect blue moon clone, but it's definitely drinkableand I'm looking forward to having more of it. And, yeah, the rice hulls made all the difference.

Brewed it last Sunday, took a hydrometer sample today (O.G.1.034, currently 1.010) and this is tasting really good. Much much better than the first time I tried it. This may be going to the rotation. Used fresh tangerine peel instead of the dried bitter orange peel and it's still coming through. It may not be a perfect blue moon clone, but it's definitely drinkableand I'm looking forward to having more of it. And, yeah, the rice hulls made all the difference.

Took another sample last night. Down to 1.008, hops have dropped out, and the tangerine just ... works. Has an amazing nose. Yum.

Realized I forgot to crush the coriander, trying to decide if I should add some now or just RDWAHAH.. likely the latter.

Thanks again, BierMuncher!

Brewed this a couple weeks ago, for some reason mine came out with a bitter aftertaste... not sure if its the coriander or the orange peel... the color is also way different...

mine is right, BM left...

10 lbs 2row UK
10 lbs flaked wheat
2oz EkG 60 min
152 for 60 min
corriander/OP at flameout... fresh orange peel, no white parts.
3944 yeast 12 days at 68 degrees.. kegged. OG 1.047 FG 1.010
I am hoping the bitter aftertaste goes away in time...

any thoughts?
I

20171006_194923.jpg

As far as color, did you check to see what SRM the 2 Row you used was? I've seen the SRM range from 1.7 - 3.5 so if yours was on the low end of that that might explain the color difference.

As for bitterness you used 2oz of EKG at 60min. Assuming 5 AA which is average for EKG that gives you around 38 IBUs which is double what the recipe calls for. In such a light grain bill the bitterness is going to stand out since it has nothing to hide behind.

Will it fade, eventually yes, bitterness in all beers fades over time. But, in this it will likely take a few months, or longer.

Just brewed this all grain recipe last night. Smelled great, I ended up using Canadian 2 row pale malt and up'd the orange peel and coriander. My local brew shop only had WB-06, has anyone used this yeast for a belgian wit before. They assured me it would work well but id like to hear from someone on here who has used it. I currently have it fermenting at 68 degrees in my basement.

Thanks all.
Look forward to trying this.

Hey Meyer how'd that turn out with the wb-06? I was going to brew this recipe with that yeast. Last batch is used it on (first ever brew) it tasted like rotten egg farts. Learned quite a bit since then and bottled WAY too soon (5 days)

Yeah it didn't go so well. I think I should have let it sit a while longer before rushing to bottle. Can't really blame it on the yeast, more so my impatience and inexperience. Next time I'll know better.

Back