Quantcast

Blowoff Tubes and PET Carboys

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kanonen80

Reaction score
I have a couple 5 gallon PET carboy's that I need to use for primary fermentation. The opening fits a #10 stopper, so the normal 1" diameter tubing I have is out of the question.

I've seen some people using some smaller tubing right in in the stopper opening - is that really the best/only blow-off tube solution when the carboy opening is that large?

Thanks!

Jordan Logo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just get the other style of airlock that is not the “S” style a lot of people use. The 2 piece airlock is much better imo and you can hook up a hose straight to it - that’s what I do.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
This works on both the pet stoppers and the universal one. the raised part that the air lok fits into has an outside diameter that a 1/2" silicone hose will fit over if you heat the end up in boiling water and press and twist. This way you get a larger hole,and it's brewery tubing. The plus is the hose fits my faucet adapter for quick disconnect and can be flushed with hot water.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What I do is...I cut a few short sections (2 inch) off an old plastic racking cane. I stick one of those into the stopper then attach some 3/8" ID tubing to that (pic below). That worked for me the last time I had a blowoff. Looking at the pic makes me wonder if some 1/2" ID tubing would fit over that small nub on that style stopper. You could also drill a larger hole into a solid #10 stopper and use something like a 1/2" ID tubing.

20190521_085956.jpg