Blowoff Tube Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DxS12

Reaction score
Hi Homebrewers,

I'm brewing up a double IPA and I set up a blowoff tube a few days ago when I saw that the bubbles were approaching the airlock. It's calmed down now, but I'm happy I caught it early because the bubbles were running through the blowoff tube like crazy. So, my question is, do I just leave the blowoff tube attached or do I switch back to an airlock now that I've averted a potential mess?

Thanks!

It depends on you really. If you have the room and no immediate need to remove the blowout tube then just leave it on. It's basically just a big airlock.

I usually just keep my blow off tube on since I really don't touch my beer for about 3 weeks. If I dry hop I will switch to an airlock after I add my dry hops just because I am removing the blow off tube. That way I can clean it and get it ready for my next batch.

I remove it and replace it with an airlock for 3 reasons:

An airlock allows me to carry my fermentor without problems. I use Bubblers and they are pretty stiff but I would still have problems with O2 if I left the blow off tube on and carried one to my kegging area. Since I have to replace it anyway, I want to replace it when the yeast are still active and producing CO2 to reduce the risk of letting O2 or bugs in.

The faster you remove the blow off tube the easier the gunk inside it is to clean out.

You can have 'suck back' problems if the temp drops too much. Suck back is where the higher pressure outside pushes the sanitizer from your overflow bucket into your fermentor through the blowoff tube. Not a problem for me anymore since I use fermentation chambers, but I had it happen a couple of times before that.

because of the way my carboys are made I only use blow-off tubes. Once fermentation starts I don't move it around and when it's time to bottle/keg I just remove the tube and haul it upstairs to package. No muss, no fuss.
If the tube gets funky I just soak it in some hot water then wash it out and it's all clean.

I remove it when I dry hop or before I cold crash, and use an S-type airlock.

You avoid sucking up all the liquid in your blowoff container during cold crash by doing this. Otherwise, unless you need the room you can leave it on.

I always switch to airlock after krausen drops. I use a sanitized jar at the end of the blow off tube, after active fermentation the jar is filled with foam, hop residue, beer.. I dont like the idea of leaving it there for 3 weeks (fruit flies/mold ect)

Back