Blowoff tube options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Steve3730

Reaction score
I have a fermentation going crazy and wanna get a better blow off tub system. Right now i have a short chunk of hose on a airlock in a jar. The tub isn't pliable and is kinked a little in the jar.

I work for a plumbing supply house so wanna grab something here to fix it. Should i put a stainless nipple through the lid to a stainless elbow to pipe to the jar? 1/8th is the size that fits in the fermenter

lhommedieu

Reaction score

#7 drilled stopper in a 6 gallon carboy; two 3/8" ID ss nipples placed halfway through each stopper to meet in the middle of the stopper; 1/2" ID food safe tubing; 1 gallon jug with StarSan solution.

I find it hard to keep the stoppers from getting pushed out of the carboys, so I rigged the following system: two large adjustable hose clamps (the kind that you tighten /loosen with a screwdriver on the neck of the carboy; rubber bands stretched across the stopper from each clamp in a figure 8 around the ss nipple to the other clamp. This keeps the stopper firmly in place.

I could tweak this a bit by using a larger ID nipple and adding small hose clamps to the tubing, but so far I haven't had any problems.

OP
S

Steve3730

Reaction score
I use bucket fermenters. Was hoping for something i could just grab from here to use. Won't make it to the brew store for a couple days and my kolsch yeast is going nuts

Newsman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Steve, just grab some vinyl tubing that will fit inside your drilled stopper and dunk the other end into a jar with some star san. You should be fine. If nothing else, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some. They sell it by the foot there. :)

OP
S

Steve3730

Reaction score
Thanks it seems to be ok with the slight kink. I'll get a better tube tomorrow. By far craziest fermentation I've had. I have krausen in the blow of jar and co2 pumping out nonstop