Blowoff tube options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
I have a fermentation going crazy and wanna get a better blow off tub system. Right now i have a short chunk of hose on a airlock in a jar. The tub isn't pliable and is kinked a little in the jar.

I work for a plumbing supply house so wanna grab something here to fix it. Should i put a stainless nipple through the lid to a stainless elbow to pipe to the jar? 1/8th is the size that fits in the fermenter

11124029_749928071771013_387681812_n.jpg

#7 drilled stopper in a 6 gallon carboy; two 3/8" ID ss nipples placed halfway through each stopper to meet in the middle of the stopper; 1/2" ID food safe tubing; 1 gallon jug with StarSan solution.

I find it hard to keep the stoppers from getting pushed out of the carboys, so I rigged the following system: two large adjustable hose clamps (the kind that you tighten /loosen with a screwdriver on the neck of the carboy; rubber bands stretched across the stopper from each clamp in a figure 8 around the ss nipple to the other clamp. This keeps the stopper firmly in place.

11078133_751509188279568_6011436026936068923_n.jpg

I could tweak this a bit by using a larger ID nipple and adding small hose clamps to the tubing, but so far I haven't had any problems.

I use bucket fermenters. Was hoping for something i could just grab from here to use. Won't make it to the brew store for a couple days and my kolsch yeast is going nuts

Steve, just grab some vinyl tubing that will fit inside your drilled stopper and dunk the other end into a jar with some star san. You should be fine. If nothing else, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some. They sell it by the foot there. :)

Thanks it seems to be ok with the slight kink. I'll get a better tube tomorrow. By far craziest fermentation I've had. I have krausen in the blow of jar and co2 pumping out nonstop

Back