Blowoff tube dia question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I made a hefeweizen this past weekend and had a feeling it might be a good idea to use a blow-off tube. I didn't have something ready to go so I kind of had to toss it together last minute. I used a water jug with sanatizer in it half filled. The normal stopper from my airlock with a line from my C02 tank. Problem is the C02 line isn't very big, I squeezed it into the stopper but the inside Diameter is only around a 1/4". I have noticed many on here using monster hoses that fit alone in the carboy neck! Will this work ok? Or will the pressure blast it out!

Thanks!:)

It will work as long as it doesn't get clogged. If the krausen reaches the tube and it gets filled with gunk, it will pop off. Generally you see those large diameter tubes when someone uses a small primary, or is expecting very vigerous fermentation. I primary in a 6.5 gal carboy, and rarely need more than an airlock.

1/4 inch inside diameter seems awfuly small to me for a blow off tube. It will probably clog as easily as your airlock. If you have time go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some larger diameter tubing.

On another note, I've been using Fermcap foam control on all my brews lately and blow-offs are now nothing but a bad memory.:ban:

1/4 inch inside diameter seems awfuly small to me for a blow off tube. It will probably clog as easily as your airlock. If you have time go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some larger diameter tubing.

On another note, I've been using Fermcap foam control on all my brews lately and blow-offs are now nothing but a bad memory.:ban:

Should I buy a large enough dia to be used alone in the Carboy lid, and if so what size tube do I need?

Thanks!

I would buy an extra bunge, hollow it out and get a tube to fit in it tightly. You can warme up the tube to get it to fit into it and then put some silicone around it. Wheats are explosive. My american wheat blew my bunge off. I have to re-paint my laundry room at some point in the future.

For a 6.5 gal glass carboy, hit the hardware store and buy 3 or 4 feet of 1 1/4" O.D. (1" I.D.) clear plastic tubing into a sanitized milk jug. Fits/squeezes directly into the mouth of the carboy and doesn't leak...I have a Bavarian Hefe bubbling away right now using this set-up...krausen hasn't blown out yet, but the sanitized milk jug is bubbling/gurgling away...

I would buy an extra bunge, hollow it out and get a tube to fit in it tightly. You can warme up the tube to get it to fit into it and then put some silicone around it. Wheats are explosive. My american wheat blew my bunge off. I have to re-paint my laundry room at some point in the future.

That's what I've done. Works very well. Saved me a few weeks back with a hefeweizen.

:mug:

Back