Blowoff hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa42

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently brewing my first ever batch of homebrew. I am using a 6 gallon bucket with an airlock for the primary fermenter and I am planning on moving it to a 2nd stage carboy (5 gal) after a few days.

About 12 hours after the fermentation started the airlock started to foam. I figured I needed to remove it an use an blowoff hose. This seems to be working ok. I have the hose running to a pan (did not have a jar avaliable at the time). I am concerned now because I have seen people saying the end of the hose needs to be in a sanitizing solution. I do not have it in a solution. Is this going:( to mess my batch up??

That is a great sign. Congrats on your first batch.

Don't sweat it. Do you have the end of the hose under water? If so, you'll be ok.

What are you brewing?

You should be okay as long as the hose was sanitized; with the CO2 blowing out it is unlikely anything from the water will make its way into your beer. In the future, I'd recommend having the end in sanitizer solution though.

As for your plan to rack to secondary, there is no problem with that, just make sure your fermentation is finished before you rack or you risk stalling it. I'd suggest waiting 7 days from brew day then taking hydrometer readings on consecutive days, if the reading remains unchanged, go ahead and rack it.

Kevin K said:
That is a great sign. Congrats on your first batch.

Don't sweat it. Do you have the end of the hose under water? If so, you'll be ok.

What are you brewing?

Thanks for the reply. I am brewing one of the Coopers Lagers kits. I figured it would be a good starting beer.

I actually did not have the hose in water either. I added water to the pan after about 12 hours - after I started thinking about it. I guess I kinda stressed when I saw the airlock foaming up and didn't think it fully through.

Back