Blowoff Container Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've only had to use a blowoff hose twice now. This time the container with the star san is getting pretty dirty and has a layer of sediment on the bottom of the container.

I had an airlock on it at first but after 36 hours it was obvious I needed a blowoff rig. The hose has been on for about 36 hours now.

For the first 24 hours there were consistent bubbles in the blowoff container, however now there is no activity.

Should I be worried about the amount of sediment in the blowoff container? Should I change the star san solution in it? I plan on putting the airlock back on in a few days when the krausen starts to recede.

View attachment 1431466153261.jpg

View attachment 1431466171267.jpg

No need to worry. The sediment is just whatever yeast made it through the blowoff. Also no need to renew the Starsan. Nothing can crawl up the tube into the fermenter. Don't worry about no more bubbles, either. You can leave tbe blowoff in or swap out for an airlock. Won't make a difference. You're in good shape.

Ha yes they are. I did rehydrate 2 packets, but this thing took off and blew up really fast!

I'm brewing, what was described as a session, a Dry Irish Stout. Brewed it up last night, added a 2000 ml starter of Irish Ale Yeast WLP004.
I came home and the airlock of my 6.5 gal fermenting bucket was clogged and the top of my bucket was domed. I think if I had left it for another 2.5 hours I would have had to learn the skill of mopping the ceiling.
I put in a blow off tube, (didn't sanitize it because I really couldn't stay).

Question : How badly did I over pitch this?
OG = 1.052
ferm temp = 74°F

WOOO

I love a good blowoff tube session!

She looks fine, you're doing it right! Just don't reuse the contents for anything and make sure you disconnect the blow off tube in replacement for an air lock if you are going to cold-crash or all that $hit is going to be sucked back into your fermenter.

Keep up the good work.

I'm brewing, what was described as a session, a Dry Irish Stout. Brewed it up last night, added a 2000 ml starter of Irish Ale Yeast WLP004.
I came home and the airlock of my 6.5 gal fermenting bucket was clogged and the top of my bucket was domed. I think if I had left it for another 2.5 hours I would have had to learn the skill of mopping the ceiling.
I put in a blow off tube, (didn't sanitize it because I really couldn't stay).

Question : How badly did I over pitch this?
OG = 1.052
ferm temp = 74°F

I would worry less about "over pitching" (possible?) and more about your ferm temp. 65-68f is the threshold for Irish Stout and WLP004. Bring that puppy down...

Oops.
On the vial it said 70 - 75, so I waited for it to warm up a bit before I brewed this. Looking on the site, it does say 65-68.

Thank you!

I don't even use Star San in my blow off container. From what I understand nothing goes up the tube that's bad so I just use water....

Back