Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....I have a question about using a blow-off tube.....I am currently brewing small 2 gallon batches which I split between 2 1-gallon jugs(I try different yeast types and things like that)...I have always used air locks with no problem but on my last batch I got some blow-off material in the air lock. Luckily, the air lock was not blown off.....so... I was thinking of using a blow off tube...the opening in the gallon jug is 1 1/4" in diameter, my LHBS only sells tubing that is about 3/4" ...they sell "blow-off" tubing which is 1 1/2" in diameter,but that's too big. So, the question is this: Can i use a rubber stopper and shove a regular 3/8" piece of tubing through it or due to the small diameter will I still have "blow-off" potential?
Thanks

I regularly use 3/8" tubing for blow off on my 5gal batches, ending in a large half-full (or is it half-empty?) jar of water. The tube can gunk up and become difficult to clean, but I've never had a problem with it becoming totally blocked. You might also look into using Fermcap.

Back