Blow Off Tube VS AirLock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jborho

Reaction score
Is there any reason to pull the blow off tube out and switch to airlock? Or can you just let it sit?

You can leave it in. I usually swap it out after the first week. It's a lot easier to move the fermenter with an air lock.

I use blow off tubes for all my primaries, and generally switch them out to an airlock when I'm done being lazy. My meads almost always eventually end up with an airlock (due to the time frames involved), but I've packaged a few beers from primary that were still set to blow off tube.

Check out the few posts when someone cries that a gallon of blow off water gets sucked back into the fermenter. I switch to an air lock with a piece of sanitized foam inside of it, although I rarely use a blow off.

Check out the few posts when someone cries that a gallon of blow off water gets sucked back into the fermenter. I switch to an air lock with a piece of sanitized foam inside of it, although I rarely use a blow off.

Fill the blow off with star san.

Check out the few posts when someone cries that a gallon of blow off water gets sucked back into the fermenter.

how does this happen? using 6 inches of tubing and having the blowoff container above the primary?

if the container is not on top and the blowoff hose a decent length I couldn't possibly see how a suck back of a gallon get into the fermenter
but now that I opened my mouth I suppose I should search for that thread

how does this happen? using 6 inches of tubing and having the blowoff container above the primary?

My guess would be a super narrow blow off tube combined with a drop in temperatures. I can't see any other reasonable way you could get that much suck back.

My guess would be a super narrow blow off tube combined with a drop in temperatures. I can't see any other reasonable way you could get that much suck back.

not to hijack but the first time I used a wyeast activator I almost had a blowout with a three piece and never used any blowoffs before. I used my siphon hose (3/8") and a piece of a broken racking cane and the hose went up appx 10 inches and was 1ft below the primary had no probs with it and had the temp drop from 72 to 63, but maybe i was lucky

Back