Blow off tube questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlyWind

Reaction score
So guys, for christmas my wife got me 5 small batch 1 gallon extract kits from NB. Brewed them all and have them in fermenters, in particular the bourbon barrel porter kit was the last I did, used my remaining 1 gallon fermenter with a cork and blow off tube into a glass of water and star san. Its been a few days of pretty high activity and the tubes got alot of krausen in it as well as the water in the glass. Should i replace it with more sanitized water and a clean tube? Or is it ok to let it be?

Just leave it be. But keep an eye on it for when the fermentation is done. At that point, it'll cool off a bit & can cause a suck back. This is due to a partial vacuum being created. You don't want da funk getting sucked into the beer.

+1^

After the heavy krausen forming is over, you can replace the blow off tube with a regular airlock. With the 3-piece ones, don't fill to the fill line, only use the minimum Starsan needed to cover the shuttle's openings, in case there is suck back.

I also vote for replacing the blow off with an airlock. Easy to do and you know you'll be safe.

Back